AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovered DWG changed from Piping to P&ID?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
STEPHANBRADLEY7243
1287 Views, 7 Replies

Recovered DWG changed from Piping to P&ID?

OK,

I have been working on a small project for a couple of months and have had no problems.  I have a single Plant 3D model that is being used to visually represent the piping changes to an existing facility, so the piping is minor.  There is only one Plant 3D model and one P&ID drawing in the project.

Here is what happened:  I was exporting a view of the model to a PDF file.  During the export, it crashed and created a recover drawing (plantmodel_recover.dwg).  I shut down and restarted, opened the recover file, went through the recovery process, then did a "save as" to update the drawing in the project.

I have done this before with no trouble, but maybe the is the wrong procedure.  The problem now is that Plant thinks this new drawing is a P&ID, has moved it to the P&ID category and will not let me move it back, delete and link to, or any other combination to add it to the correct category in the project.  Thus, I can't work on the piping items because it doesn't allow editing of piping items in a non-piping drawing.

If anyone has thoughts, I am open!! I am happy to clarify if I confused anyone.

Thanks,

Stephan

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Save as is definitely the wrong way to go.  

1. Remove the drawing from the project (renamed it to drawing_old.dwg or something).  

2. Rename the backup or temp save drawing and put it in the project folder.

3. Use Copy Drawing to project to bring in the backup.  

Otherwise the information doesn't always point to the right objects.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 3 of 8

OK,

I tried this and it reminded me of why I did the method above.  Originally, I recovered the file and tried to "link to drawing" and got this error.  Today, I followed your procedure line by line and got this error:

"Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application.  If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.

Attempted to read or write protected memory.  This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

I am on a corporate server, so I sincerely doubt I have corrupt memory.

Stephan

Message 4 of 8

Due the way the drawing records have been handled, the error is probably from old records being in the database.

Run AUDITPROJECT, PLANTAUDIT, and then try the procedure from before.

Dave Wolfe

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 5 of 8

OK,

I tried the two commands with a P&ID drawing open, then tried to copy the model drawing file to the project, no luck (same error).

I then opend the recovered drawing, got a warning that it was a plant drawing, but not part of the current project and tried the two commands again.  This is what happened:

Command: auditproject

Command: Beginning audit of project 'Rock River'

... Auditing project part 'PnId'

... Checking drawing Q:\22\90136\Rock River\PID DWG\PID Sheets.dwg

... Checking database record 1 of 258. Checking database record 50 of 258. Checking database record 100 of 258. Checking database record 150 of 258. Checking database record 200 of 258. Checking database record 250 of 258. Checking database record 258 of 258. Checking acquisition properties in 'EngineeringItems' table

... Checking acquisition properties in 'NonEngineeringItems' table

... Checking acquisition properties in 'PipeLineGroup' table

... Checking acquisition properties in 'SignalLineGroup' table

... 258 database records audited.

There are no errors found.

Auditing project part 'Piping'

... Project has unsaved data.

Please save or discard your work and run AUDITPROJECT again.

Auditing project part 'Iso'

... 0 database records audited.

Auditing project part 'Ortho'

Auditing project part 'Misc'

Command: plantaudit

Command: The auditing process is starting. The audit process was aborted due to the following error: eCannotBeErasedByCaller

So, should I run the audit commands with no drawings open and if so, how do I do that?

Thanks,

Stephan

Message 6 of 8

Run the commands after opening a new drawing (or template).  You don't have to be in a project drawing.  As long as you have a project current (and you do most of the time), Plant will run the commands in that project.

Dave Wolfe

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 7 of 8

Way to go Dave!! Smiley Very Happy

I opened a new drawing (temp.dwg) under "Plant 3D Drawings" category in the project manager, then I ran the two audit commands.  I then did "copy drawing to project" for the model that I had trouble with and BOOM!  All is well.

Thanks very much Dave.

Stephan

Message 8 of 8

Glad to help!

Please mark my post as the answer if it answers your question. Marking answers helps other find solutions faster. Thanks!

Dave Wolfe

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost