AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plant3D 2014 Ortho Drawing Dimensions

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
TRdesigner82
1664 Views, 8 Replies

Plant3D 2014 Ortho Drawing Dimensions

When we first started using Plant3D here were I work we were unaware that dimensions on orthographic drawings don't update with objects that are changed or moved. I was told that they DO update now in 2014 by one of the trainers from Imaginit. I just want to confirm that this is true and that dimension DO update now in Plant3D 2014. Any insight would be great. Thanks in advance for any and all comments...

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dave.wolfe
in reply to: TRdesigner82

Not yet.

5-6-2013 8-53-11 AM.png

5-6-2013 8-53-01 AM.png

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 3 of 9
TRdesigner82
in reply to: dave.wolfe

By "Not yet" are you assuming that it is comming soon? Maybe a service pack or the next version? If you seach "about dimensioning" in the 2014 help, it makes it sound like it does...

About Associative Dimensions

Dimensions can be associative, nonassociative, or exploded. Associative dimensions adjust to changes in the geometric objects that they measure.

Dimension associativity defines the relationship between geometric objects and the dimensions that give their distance and angles. There are three types of associativity between geometric objects and dimensions.

• Associative dimensions . Automatically adjust their locations, orientations, and measurement values when the geometric objects associated with them are modified. Dimensions in a layout may be associated to objects in model space. These are created when the DIMASSOC system variable is set to 2.
  • Non-associative dimensions . Selected and modified with the geometry they measure. Non-associative dimensions do not change when the geometric objects they measure are modified. These are created when the DIMASSOC system variable is set to 1.
  • Exploded dimensions . Contain a collection of separate objects rather than a single dimension object. These are created when the DIMASSOC system variable is set to 0.

You can determine whether a dimension is associative or non-associative by selecting the dimension and doing one of the following:

• Use the Properties palette (in the Windows version ) or the Properties Inspector (in the Mac version) to display the properties of the dimension.
  • Use the LIST command to display the properties of the dimension.
  • In the Windows version, use the Quick Select feature to filter the selection of associative or non-associative dimensions.

A dimension is considered partially associative when only one end of the dimension is associated with a geometric object. You can use the DIMREASSOCIATE command to reassociate non-associative dimensions.

Annotation Monitor

Associativity between a dimension and an object may be lost for several reasons. For example:

• Associativity is not maintained between a dimension and a block reference if the block is redefined such that the edge the dimension is associated with moves.
  • Associativity is not maintained between a dimension and a model documentation drawing view, when an update or edit event removes the dimensioned edge.

You can use the annotation monitor to track leader associativity. When the annotation monitor is on, it flags dimensions that lose associativity by displaying a badge on the dimension.

Before update event

After update event

Clicking a badge, displays a menu that contains options specific to the corresponding disassociated annotation. The menu on a dimension that has lost associativity provides access to the DIMREASSOCIATE and ERASE commands.

Special Situations and Limitations

You might need to use DIMREGEN to update associative dimensions after panning or zooming, after opening a drawing that was modified with an earlier release, or after opening a drawing with external references that have been modified.

Associative dimensions support most object types that you would expect to dimension. They do not support objects such as

• Hatches
  • Images
  • Underlays
  • Multiline objects
  • 2D solids
  • Objects with a nonzero 3D thickness property

Dimensions associated to model drawing views may lose their associativity if the drawing is opened and re-saved in a pre-2012 release of AutoCAD.

Message 4 of 9
dave.wolfe

I know it's an often-requested item on the wish list.  Obviously, not being Autodesk I can't say when it's going to happen.

The help file section you reference is from standard AutoCAD, and associative dimensioning for standard AutoCAD objects was created a long time ago.

The trick in this situation is that Plant uses blocks when generating these orthos.  In addition, when you re-generating a viewport, the old blocks are wiped out, and completely new ones are created.

B/c new items are created, the dimensions no longer remember what they were tied to, and do not stretch or change to make model changes.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 5 of 9
TRdesigner82
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Thanks for you help Dave and the clarification. It just seems kind of crazy to me that Autodesk would put out a product that has such a huge flaw like that. It has to bite people in the **** all the time. I just don't see how every little change that happens could be noticed and caught every time a drawing gets updated...

Message 6 of 9
Arun_Kumar_K

I don't think, any other software have the feature of update dimension. I have few disagreements with the product but not in this topic. As the feature requested is little high, as the software presently needs more concentration regd in isometric, P&ID, ortho, shape intellengency for civil, and cable trays.
Message 7 of 9
Arun_Kumar_K
in reply to: Arun_Kumar_K

Today I attended the seminar conducted by Intergraph on Cadworx product, they are going to release the new version in June 2013. The improvement they made is "Orthogen", the Orthogen will automatically provides dimension for pipes, and auto marking of tag nos. When the feature was listened, I immediately recollected my earlier post on this subject.
Message 8 of 9
RichO

Soooo here we are Version 2017

Every time I update a view, i have to reassociate ALL of my dimensions.

Please tell me im missing something or has Autodesk still managed to miss the most basic functionality for a drafting package.

Would have been a much better package built on Inventor instead of autocrap

Message 9 of 9
TRdesigner82
in reply to: RichO

My guess is Autodesk still managed to miss it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost