AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plant 3D Bolt Set Problem

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ljackson
8608 Views, 8 Replies

Plant 3D Bolt Set Problem

I am having some bolt set problems. I have creatded a custom bolt set in one of my specs and when i route pipe with this spec plant 3d is using a different bolt set then the one i created for my spec. The bolt spec that i created is the only bolt set in the spec, so i dont know why plant 3d is using anouther bolt set from anouther spec. I also cant change the bolt set or spec that the bolt set is on by holding down control and clicking on the bolt set then trying to change the spec in the properties and the bolt set with the small yellow triangle.

Somthing else i noticed is that the bolt set that plant 3d is forcing me to use is somtimes called out as imperial or metric in the same project on the same line. For instance metric on one side of a valve and imperial on the other????

I am using Plant 3D 2013.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jabowabo
in reply to: ljackson

Sounds like It is grabbing a placeholder part. Your spec bolt set needs to match your flange in:
- size
- pressure class
- facing

Message 3 of 9
patpat79

He's right, check your bolt property and available sizes.

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 4 of 9
ljackson
in reply to: jabowabo

That was it jabowabo. Thanks

I have anouther quick question. Will i need more than one bolt set if i plan on using several flanged conections of varying thickness? For example if I have a 3" S.S to S.S. conection and then a 3" S.S. to HDPE conection using a stub in and backing flange. Both of these conection will use the same size bolt but two different lengths. So will I require two bolt sets? One for each length?  

Message 5 of 9
jabowabo

The bolt length is supposed to be calculated as needed but I think it needs more work.  Please see this thread for an explanation of how it works:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Plant-3D-General/Bolt-Lengths-and/m-p/3699478/highlight/true#M...

Message 6 of 9
btrevena

Hi,

Bolt lengths for PE stubend connections need to allow for the stubend shoulder thickness, the backing flange thickness and the gasket thickness. The stubend shoulder is not considered to be a wafer element. Longer PE flange joint bolts can be defined in a PE spec.

PE to SS and SS to PE spec connections will need a 3rd set of bolts with preset lengths. These bolts can be added to the PE and SS specs but will need to be dynamically selected after joint creation.

Bruce

Message 7 of 9
Fyon.M

Hello, can you help me?, for example if I need to connect a valve type lug, I use machine bolts and stud bolts on the same connection, how can I do to set this type of join?, sorry for my english.. is more easy for me to write in Spanish. Thank you!.

Message 8 of 9
btrevena

Hi,

In your catalogue you can copy a suitable lug bolt using Duplicate Component and modify the lug bolt count. Bolts do not have an EndType so we cannot use EndType as a selection control. We could use Rating if you were happy to modify the standard rating syntax, ie 600 to 600LS for 600# Lug and Stud. Or we can also use Facing as you have suggested. See the attached image.

I have a Valve with LUG end types but with the facing string modified to LUGSTUD in place of RF.
The Gasket and Flange and Lug Bolts also have a Facing value of LUGSTUD.

The Lug Bolts with Facing set to LUGSTUD have had the count reduced and a note added to the description.

You can also if you wish define a new LUG JOINT type in your DefaultConnectorsConfig.xml file. Say LUGSTUD_JOINT. Do this by copying and editing section. Also define a new end type LUGS in the and 2> sections and add to LUGSTUD. Creating this joint will control simple and compound joining behaviour for catalogue items with these EndTypes, but it will not help to select the Bolts.

Best Regards,

Bruce Trevena | Plant Solutions Consultant
Cadgroup Australia Pty Ltd
NSW +612 9552 3466 QLD +617 3262 5591
VIC +613 9077 6553 WA +618 9472 6205
Email | btrevena@cadgroup.com.au
Website | www.cadgroup.com.au
[cid:image001.jpg@01CF78C9.E2E0B2D0]

[cid:image002.jpg@01CF78C9.E2E0B2D0]

[cid:image003.jpg@01CF78C9.E2E0B2D0]

[cid:image004.jpg@01CF78C9.E2E0B2D0]

DISCLAIMER:
The information contained in this email message and any attachment(s) is privileged and confidential and is intended only for the use of the recipient and others who have been specifically authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, disclosure, use or copy of this communication, or the making and retention of a copy of this communication, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender by return email.
Cadgroup Australia Pty Ltd is not responsible for any loss or damage caused as a result of any viruses which may be contained within attachments to this email and recommend that all attachments be scanned for viruses prior to opening
Please consider the environment, before printing this email
Message 9 of 9
dinant

My problem looks similar.

When i'm using two different specs at my customer side i have some times two different pressure classes. The flanges are having the same dimensions with the different pressure classes according to the EN1092-1.

Like the first part of the PN10 is taking the sizes of PN40.

When connecting these different pressure classes i get the boltset and gasket from the correct spec but the flange as a Placeholder... No problem so far just substitute the flange.

But when i use a Wafertype valve in between i don't get a boltset.

The boltset is placed when the pressure classes are the same.

The joint setting is only checking on NominalSize.

Regards,

Dinant Weenk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost