AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plant 3D 2014 Extension 1 stops Plant 3D from working

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mike.taylor2
858 Views, 10 Replies

Plant 3D 2014 Extension 1 stops Plant 3D from working

Hi All,

In our environment local users do not have administrative rights to install software.  If I use an Admin account to install Plant 3D 2014 it works fine for any user who logs on.  If I then install Extension 1 it will only work for the admin account.  All other users receive the following message when attempting to launch Plant 3D 2014

"Run Setup.exe to install AutoCAD Plant 3D 2014 - English"

and then an error box appears title Problem with Shortcut and message "Fatal error during installation"

If I log back in with the admin account and retest Plant 3D everything works accordingly.

I have attempted the delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R19.1\ACAD-D017:409 registry key as per theRelease Notes but that only breaks Plant 3D for the Admin account prompting the same errors as above.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get this working for any user who logs on.

Appreciate the help,

Mike

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
DarrenP
in reply to: mike.taylor2

you may not want to install this extension

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Plant-3D/Plant3d-2014-and-Extension-major-bugs/td-p/4356351

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
mike.taylor2
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks Darren,

I had a chat with our technical staff and we do really need this extension in our Environment.

regards,

Mike

Message 4 of 11
jabowabo

Are you logging in as admin to run the install or selecting 'run as administrator'? Try the latter if you haven't. You might also try making the user an admin and turning off UAC temporarily.
Message 5 of 11
mike.taylor2

I tried logging in as another administrator and encountered the same problem.  I also tried the installation with UAC off.

In my opinion I do not believe it is a problem with user access.  More to do with the extension only installing for the current logged on user.

If I uninstall the extension then Plant 3D will work fine for any users on that machine.

Message 6 of 11

Hi,

Do you manage to install the product on one machine with administrator login and run it successfully ?

Can you able to send us a screenshot of the fatal error ?

Also, please collect and send the log files from the temp folder as per the procedure below.

Start - run - %temp% 

Look for any ACAD file with .log as extension. Attach the above documents for further troubleshooting on this issue.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 7 of 11

Has the user ever run Plant 3D RTM? 

Can you try to have the user run Plant 3D once and then install the extension?

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 11
mike.taylor2

Hi Vinod,

Plant 3D 2014 Extension 1 will only work for the administrator login used to install the product.  If I login with a different administrative login it does not work.

Attached in the Zip file are the 2 log files from the temp folder.  The screenshot setupexe.png is the first error that appears followed by the shortcut.png message.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 11
mike.taylor2
in reply to: PeterQuinn

Hi Peter,

Plant 3D 2014 works fine for any user on the machine.  It stops working when Extension 1 is installed.  This is for both Admin and non-admin accounts.  Which is why I do not believe it is to do with user rights.

Thanks,

Message 10 of 11

Hi Mike,

Is there a possibility of remoting to one of your user's machine and check the installer. If so, can you drop me a private message with your contact details and convenient time. I will take a look at the issue remotely.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 11 of 11
mike.taylor2

Hi Vinod,

sorry for the late response, I have been working with autodesk support and believe we have found the problem.  the standard shortcut is set to start in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2014\UserDataCache\

The UserDataCache folder is a hidden fold but users have modify rights to.  If I change the shortcut to start in the autoCAD directory it loads Plant 3D 2014 with Extension 1 no problems for any user on the machine.

I'm currently editing the Plant3D MSI in an attempt to get this installtion without user interaction.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost