AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe and Slip on Flange Dimension incorrect in ISO

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
tarrynd
3047 Views, 10 Replies

Pipe and Slip on Flange Dimension incorrect in ISO

Hi There,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am pulling an ISO of a pipe which contains a slip on flange. The end types for the flange are: 1. FL and 2. SO. When I pull the ISO it should show a dimension of 600 including the flange width. The pipe was created with a length of 600. But when I add the flange to the pipe it adds the additional 14 (Flange thickness). Therefore my dimension in my ISO is 614 instead of 600. Is there a way to change this so that the flange sits over the pipe instead of infront of it? I tried changing the engagment length in the catalog editor. It put the flange 14mm infront of the pipe, but no matter what sizes I changed it to I could never get the flange to sit on the pipe.

Kind regards,

Tarryn

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
milic.srdjan
in reply to: tarrynd

As I understand correct, You need do have one point on a slipon flange, that contains two attachment point, one for a pipe (SO) and one for a flange (FL), as You wrote,

When we look at B16.5, please, You can find that this two points are slightly different, not the same.

When You change a component in catalog, reload again in pipespec, then test it.
I saw in catalog that they have a little difference from L and I values.
You must also check "way of dimension" for ISO template form. I suppose that You can check length of pipes in cut piece list, is it correct or wrong.

@end, this is interested problem, because on a big flanges this difference can be big.
e.g For 16" SO Flange L-I 2.5"-2.34"=0.16" (>4 mm), then if you have 10, or 20 flanges on a line , it goes > 8 cm

Message 3 of 11
halitomi
in reply to: tarrynd

Is there a good solution for it?

Same problem here.

If you have a slip-on flange the pipe should not run until the flange "end-plane". It should be cut back with at least the wall-thickness (X), to have enough room for the welding inside the flange.

Engagement length does not do any good. 

Message 4 of 11
Jan-TSpD
in reply to: halitomi

Hi, i think the only way to do this is to create block based SO flanges with P1 and P2. P1 is face of flange, P2 is plane of pipe.

I have also tried to change the engagement length, without any succes.

regards, Jan

Message 5 of 11
Vasu27
in reply to: Jan-TSpD

Hi All,

We can control the engagement of pipe within SO flanges, by editing the length of insertion value "I", in the 'Size Parameters' pane of the Catalog editor. I have tried the below three cases and attained the results as expected,

Case-001: Pipe running into the SO flange, leaving a gap at FL end, for weld inside flange.
Catalog Properties: L = 2.44; I = 2.34; Engagement Length (Port2): 2.34

Case-002: Pipe running into the SO flange, until the FL end, without the gap for weld inside flange.
Catalog Properties: L = 2.44; I = 2.44; Engagement Length (Port2): 2.44

Case-003: Pipe stops at the SO end of the Flange itself, i.e the flange just sits in front of the pipe.
Catalog Properties: L = 2.44; I = 0; Engagement Length (Port2): 0

I attached the image and some isometrics, for reference. Please try.

Thanks

Vasu

Message 6 of 11
Jan-TSpD
in reply to: Vasu27

Hi Vasu27, 

where can i find insertion value "I" in the Catalog editor, can you send a screenshot?

Does it work also when placing a flange directly to an elbow?

regards, Jan

Message 7 of 11
Vasu27

Hi Jan,

I had enclosed an image from the Catalog Editor, showing the 'I' value. Please try editing that.

Yes, it works, even when the flange is placed directly to the elbow. 

Thanks

Vasu

Message 8 of 11
Jan-TSpD

Hi Vasu,

thanks, it is clear now. I had the wrong flangetype which doesn't have the "I" value.

regards, Jan

Message 9 of 11
Jan-TSpD

Hi Vasu,

i have been testing with the SO flange and it seems to me that the value "engagement length" is of no influence to the model.

Attached you find a screenshot sample of the model with dimensions) and de catalog editor with values. The elbow is 8mm into the SO flange, the value 3mm of the engagement length doesn't appear or affect the model.

In my previous message i mentioned i used another flange, this was a lapped flanged. The engagement length with a lapped flange only affects a straight pipe, not an elbow.

regards, Jan

Message 10 of 11
Vasu27

Hi Jan,

The Engagement Length does not affect the Pipe engagement, you can get it done by editing the Insertion Length 'I', in the Size Parameters pane (Catalog Editor), containing the dimensional values, which affect the actual size of the component in the 3D model(as it says).

And I am not clear, why you need engagement length for the Lapped flange here. Can you please explain that?

Thanks

Vasu

Message 11 of 11
Jan-TSpD

Hi Vasu,

that is what i mean, why the input field "engagement length" when is does not effect the model.

I tried to use the lapped flange for a flange acc standard EN1092-1 type 01 because of the shape, but i will use the SO flange now an adjust some dimensions to get the right shape.

regards,

Jan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost