AutoCAD Plant 3D General DIscussion

Distinguished Contributor
Gabriel.N
Message 11 of 23 (426 Views)

Re: Performance - Autodesk DO SOME THING!

12-20-2012 12:22 PM in reply to: ybogdanov

The command WHIPTHREAD to "3" made no difference.

Contributor
dsmeisle
Message 12 of 23 (427 Views)

12-20-2012 01:49 PM in reply to: Gabriel.N
An SSD drive will do as much as it can on your side of the network. If your network is as slow as ours can be, then every little bit will help. Your issues however seem to be at your local box. My computer used to take close to 2 minutes to load Acad, now with an SSD it takes less than 20 seconds...
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 13 of 23 (421 Views)

12-20-2012 02:08 PM in reply to: Gabriel.N

There's the rub: they aren't competing with PDMS, SmartPlant, or the other high-horsepower programs.  They are competing with the mid-level products like CADWorx Plant which specialize in smaller, less costly software as well as less support requirements.  Not everybody needs/wants a PDMS and can get away with lower cost software with lesser capabilities.

To get the performance of a PDMS they would require a serious investment in time and money, which would have to be recouped via higher costs; even an eye-popping performance increase would increase sales well below the investment costs from those moving back to cheaper software (one of their main selling points).  it would also require them to essentially abandon the AutoCAD platform which is another of their main selling points ("Got Plant3D?  You've got AutoCAD, too!").

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Gabriel.N
Message 14 of 23 (424 Views)

12-20-2012 02:28 PM in reply to: dgorsman

This is true, but there are many projects around here that could use very well the Plant 3D, but almost Nobody knows about it. And this performance is an extremely negative publicity.

Active Contributor
rchiasson
Message 15 of 23 (424 Views)

12-20-2012 02:41 PM in reply to: Gabriel.N

Being that the competition with Plant 3D is Cadworx and AutoPlant, all 3 run on Autocad, all of them still experience issues with performace with large models, which falls back on model management. Large detailed models will bog down all 3, that is just the fact right now.

Product Support
Dan.Scales
Message 16 of 23 (406 Views)

12-21-2012 03:35 AM in reply to: Gabriel.N

Hi,

The following technical solution discusses support for multi-core processing:

Support for multi-core processors with AutoCAD

One thing that you should also check is the driver version installed for you graphics card. It is often best to use the version that has been tested and certified by Autodesk:

NVIDIA Quadro 4000

Lastly, when navigating around the drawing try setting the visual style to "2D Wireframe". Make sure you select 2D Wireframe rather than Wireframe.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Scales
Valued Mentor
ybogdanov
Message 17 of 23 (401 Views)

12-21-2012 05:35 AM in reply to: Gabriel.N

You project is in network, but software files, cache files and autosave files are in your PC. For use my SSD in project files I use Vault Professional with Plant3D projects, in this case when you open any file, this file are created in your PC.

(SSD is not solution for orbit, zoom and other navigation things)

I think that this problem have all 3D software today. That's why exist viewers, as Navisworks. And all plant designers are using any one, users of SmartPlant, PDMS, Plant3D... all have Navisworks, why? Because have better perfomance that 3d designer software.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yury Bogdanov
ASIDEK(Grupo CT) - Partner Directo de Autodesk
Barcelona (Spain)
Gabriel.N
Message 18 of 23 (388 Views)

12-22-2012 02:25 PM in reply to: Gabriel.N

Thanks to everyone for the tips, I understand that they seek the best performance with what we have available today.

But the fundamental question I do is:
This whole argumentation is meant to justify the performance of the product today, or want to justify remaining in this concept, I consider obsolete?

The answer to this question will determine whether I finished my current project I will continue to invest in Plant 3D, or will look for an alternative.

My main complaint is about the 3D performance, and in my opinion there is technology available to solve this problem easily.

Watch this video, as a small company in 2001 could revolutionize the film industry through innovation. They use a technology designed for games, for accelerating the color gradding of hi resolution pictures in real time.

http://vimeo.com/44501042

This company was sold to Adobe, that with this technology had a quantum jump in performance and in sales.

A quote I liked from this video was:

"The hardware is available, and you can scale-up to you project need, that is democratization."

Gabriel.N
Message 19 of 23 (386 Views)

12-22-2012 02:34 PM in reply to: ybogdanov

Viwers like Naviswork has a different goal compared to Plant 3D, that's why it exists.

Arun_Kumar_K
Message 20 of 23 (377 Views)

12-22-2012 11:16 PM in reply to: Gabriel.N

I worked in Smartplant, PDMS, CADWORX and Plant3d.

My opinion is:

Eventhough Plant3d, Autoplant, CADWORX have equal features of modelling compare to high end softwares PDMS, SP3d,these softwares (Cadworx, Autocad plant3d, Autodplant) lag in 3d performance and not many users can work in single file as it all works in Autocad engine.

Unless these software improves in 3d performance and multiuser concept in single file, these will get stamped for smaller and mid cap sector.

Request Autodesk to look for higher 3d performance as equivalent to Inventor. This can be done, nothing is impossible.

Regards,

Arun

"Sucess is not about what you can deliver

it is about adding values where the world needs value"

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Plant 3D Category!

The AutoCAD Plant 3D forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community