AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P3D Structural Member Problem

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
1494 Views, 20 Replies

P3D Structural Member Problem

I continually encounter a problem involving the placement of structural members in 3D.  This may be a programming issue but when I place any member it offsets its position slightly from the point where it was actually placed.  This happens each and every time which means that I must manually move every single member to where it needs to be.

Is anyone else experiencing this or is it just me?  Either way it is unacceptable and needs a fix.

Chuck A. - Designer

Upper Consulting, Inc.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 21 of 21

Hi All,

I am just getting into laying out ACAD steel and read this thread and was curious of why we are having this the offset issue. As I was doing some searching on this issue and came across this thread incorrect-dimensions-in-cisc-structural-members.

I downloaded the sqliteexpert installed it and then open the Structural Catalog.ACAT (first making a back up) from the C:\AutoCAD Plant 3D 2015 Content\CPak Common folder.

For example I looked at the height for a W12x53 in the Structural Catalog.ACAT the height is set to 12.1

the steel books I have on hand

Theoretical dimensions and Properties for Design the H = 12.06

Approximate dimensions for Detailing H = 12

As some found in order to place the steel as close to our reference lines we have to set the precision up or down before placing the member.

FYI, I change the unit to decimal and precision to 4 places and set the member to TOS and BOS and it placed right on the line.

So a few issues here

Having Unit set to Frations the members don't seem to place right

Some H dimension in the catalogs are not correct.

What is the best practice for structurral detailing using the Theoretical or Detailing dimensions?

Tom
aka, Dadspackard, Packin31

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost