AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P3D 2014 ORTHO LAYER PROBLEMS

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
universalpiping
2564 Views, 8 Replies

P3D 2014 ORTHO LAYER PROBLEMS

In each of the past two issues of plant 2012 and 2013, I would create ortho graphic drawings using my plant 3D models and it would bring in the exact layers and color associations as I had in the model, into the ortho drawings.  

After we upgraded to 2014, I have noticed this is no longer the case. Instead when you create an orthographic drawing from a 3D model like ours, you get generic layers like [TOP (PLAN) VIEW-CENTER] , TOP (PLAN) VIEW-PIPING], AND [TOP (PLAN) VIEW - MISC]. 

The problem is that when we bring everything into the orthographic drawing, we have to change the layers manually, in order to freeze them out.  Then, if we make a change to the model, and update the orthographic drawing, everything reverts to the original layer names and we have to start over from scratch.  This is a pretty annoying minor issue, but would love to be able to solve it.

is there a way to tell the orthographic drawings to bring in the  correct layers, and not the generic Piping layer?

Intel(r) Xeon(R) CUPI E3-1505Mv5@2.80ghz
32 gb ram
win 10 x 64 bit OS x64 based processor
Autocad Plant Design Suite Ultimate 2017
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
phwatso
in reply to: universalpiping

There is a new section in the project properties for orthographic drawings which has a tick box to use the model layers as previously in 2013.

Message 3 of 9

When I check that box  that says (Use 3D model layers) and hit ok, that setting does not save.  When i go back into Ortho Generation Settings, the box is always unchecked again.  I am using a custom titleblock, but I cant even get it to work with a default ortho title block. 

Any further assitance?

32 gb ram
Message 4 of 9
phwatso

You need to make sure that you have an Orthos folder in your project directory that contains a Styles folder which contains a Default folder which contains the OrthoConfig.xml file. There seems to be a bug and this folder structure doesn't always get created correctly.

Message 5 of 9
universalpiping
in reply to: phwatso

Success. 

The issue seamed to be inside of the ortho folder that was inside of the project folder.  Created a new project with all default settings, and copied and pasted the ortho folder from the default project into my current project after i deleted the original ortho folder from my current project.  

Once I had replaced that folder, all the ortho settings and options started working as I believe they were intended. Thank you!

32 gb ram
Message 6 of 9
snijdam

I have the same issue over here. I read this thread but I do not have the checkbox,

only the settings shown in the image.Ortho settings.jpg

Message 7 of 9
phwatso
in reply to: snijdam

You have to click on the Setup Title Block button and you will see another button top right for more settings.

Message 8 of 9
snijdam
in reply to: snijdam

works for me! thanks for the quick reply

Message 9 of 9

This still seems to be an issue in 2015.  In the Ortho settings, I tried both ways; setting all the layers and checking the box to use the 3D layers.  When creating new ortho views the layer names are still getting appended with 'TOP (PLAN) VIEW-' (etc.).  It does appear that all entities generated for that view are only on these new layers which means that the other layers (the ones that are frozen in the viewport) can be purged.  Then the layers in use can be renamed.  It would be nice to not have to rename any layers though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost