AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P&ID ISO connections

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
4838 Views, 9 Replies

P&ID ISO connections

Hello,

Question: how come when I setup a project that uses PIP p&id all the equipment is intelligent and automatically adds flanges to tanks, for eg., but when I create a ISO p&id it's a pain to add flanges & other stuff?

PIP acronim is the american standard? Why can't I use the symbols interchangebly? I mean, they are only symbols, I cannot find the symbols that I want in ISO but they are in PIP and if I work in a PIP project I want the ISO symbols!!!! It's annoying!!

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Attila.Vallyon
in reply to: Anonymous

Go in the project settings.

Than P&ID DWG Settings/P&ID Class Definitions/Engineering Items/Equipment.

There select your equipment and click Edit Symbol.

Than set the Auto Nozzle to yes.

Regards,
Attila Vallyon
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

So I have to do this work for all of the differrent types of equipment? What's the point of having a professional software if it does not come with theese kind of things already properly set up?

Now, I have done what you said and they were already on. Here's an example: I've set-up a ISO project and I am trying to put a Conical Heads Vessel (the vessel that I want is actually in the PIP symbol library which does not allow me to access it!!!). So I place the vessel, the auto nozzle is on put It does not create a new nozzle when attaching a primary line. This is true for all of the ISO equipment, pumps, vessels, heat exchangers...

So all of the ISO symbols do not support autonozzle? And why can't I put a PIP storage tank and a ISO pump, or vice-versa? The symbols in PIP are the ones that I see on hard-copy drawings which also have ISO symbols (this separation is from the autocad plant 3d point of view - I don't think the engineer that created those drawing twisted his brains on what tank should he use: ISO or PIP) But I need those symbols so I can actually tell something in my drawings.

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 10
Attila.Vallyon

Well, first of all:

Which version you use?

Second:

You can use ISO and PIP symbols in one project.

In the project settings you just go into the class what you want to create and

Add Symbols, browse for the projSymbolStyle.dwg of that project and add the required symbol you want (ISO or PIP)

Than as I said switch the Auto Nozzle on, and select a nozzle type.

Of course, in order to do that you need properly set up nozzle symbols.

Than after you finish click on Add to Tool Palette and you have in the tool palette.

Third:

It does not matter which symbol you use (ISO or PIP or whatever), the auto nozzle should work. It works for me.

Regards,
Attila Vallyon
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Attila.Vallyon

Ok, so I did what you said. It works. Now, I have to do this for the next dozen! of items!

If I Edit/Add Symbol for each and every single item it works. The reason why in ISO autonozzle won't work: it was set on ISO Assumed Nozzle. When I changed it to ISO Flanged it works the autonozzle for my Conical Vessel in my example.

But I cannot do this kind of thing for every valve, tank and other equipment!

I mean why ISO Assumed nozzle won't work propery?

Next part, I did manage to add PIP symbol to ISO project; however, I need more symbols from PIP to add; this means that for every symbol that I want I have to manually add them, set-up their properties and so on. Isn't there a workarround? And why all this restrction between ISO and  PIP, it's a professional software, not a teacher to restrict me to do something!

Also someone from Autodesk should reply why does it take so long to switch between workspaces for P&ID? At every change the toolpalette becomes floating, it is no longer docked, and it's annoing. It hangs for 3 seconds at every change.

We have here Plant 4D, add-on to Autocad. In it I can add any kind of valve, anykind of equipment instantly!! No lag, no switching workspace no nothing. I have a button with and arrow, keep that pressed and boom, a short list with all the valve types apperas, place (for eg) the ball valve, inherit properties or choose class & other in a small winow. Perfect! Autocad it's toooo graphical, very demanding on a system. Actually, the toolpalette should become a menu item, a tab, this would be great!

Even changing the class is a pain, I loose precious time switching between them.

Sorry if I divagated from the original questions.

So, how about the placing of PIP and ISO symbols? Can I do that as an engineer or I should transform into a programmer?

Thanks alot!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Any help please?

How can I use both PIP and ISO (or whatever else there is: DIN, JIS, etc) into one project?

I can add an ISO symbol to a PIP project (and vice-versa) by going into properties of that SINGLE object! This is means 5 minutes lost time. Of course now I need to do the same thnig all over again for the next symbol. So 5min x 30items = more than two hours lost time to do this kind of setup.

Why am I restricted to ONLY PIP or ISO? This is stupid!

Also ISO does not have Autonozzle ON by default, hence I cannot add...well...autoflanges. How can I globally change this?

Thanks.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Hello,

Did you find a easier way to work with P&Id s? Becuase I have the same problem like you and I loose a lot of time customizing simbols.

Thanks,

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Hello,

unfortunately I never found a solution for that; also, switched companies and software during the time and now barely use Autocad.

If I will ever work again in P3D be sure I will post as soon as I find a solution! I still keep in touch with Autocad products.

So, sorry for not helping you but I wish you good luck!

Regards,

Tony

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

thank you very much for your response. Good luck in your new job and hope to ser you back here soon ! regards,
Message 10 of 10
james_kuffuor

It's 2023 and it's still a problem 😞 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost