AutoCAD Plant 3D General DIscussion

AutoCAD Plant 3D General DIscussion

Contributor
aaronkromm9890
Message 1 of 14 (1,235 Views)

Ortho view bug?

1235 Views, 13 Replies
09-07-2012 08:54 AM

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a problem others have had but I'm looking for a little help brainstorming a solution to my problem.  I'm working in a project in Plant 3d 2012 and I am trying to create or update ortho views in this project but it is failing everytime.  I do have some existing views and they were working fine but I can no longer update them to reflect changes made in the model.  The following is what is happening in a step by step fashion:

Updating a view

1. Click update view button
  2. Select view and hit enter
  3. Pop up window does come up and successfully completes the first step and then the progress window disappears during step two.
  4. View remains unchanged and if I try to do the procedure again it says view is up to date and requires me to save the model again before it lets me try again.

Creating a view

1. Click new view button
  2. Select models I want to include (one is a 3d cad file exported from revit structural)
  3. Adjust the boundaries as required and then start the creation process.
  4. As in updating the view plant 3d only makes it to step two and quits and it appears no view gets created.
  5.  If I close plant 3d reopen it and click on the Orthographic DWG tab of project manager it will now show the view I wanted to create but it is essentially empty and cannot place it on the drawing.

This was working a couple weeks ago and now it will not. I have tried doing a project audit and got no errors. I've tried drawing audits.  I've tried loading the project on different machines and get the same things happening.  I have tried converting the project to Plant 3d 2013 and while it will partially work sometimes it still doesn't work right (it will no obey the boundaries I set just shows whole model) I am using Plant 3D on windows 7 with the project saved on a network drive that is using Novell servers. 

I plan on trying to run this on a 32 bit windows xp machine on Monday to see if I'm running into a similar problem that we are having with regular autocad 2012 and novell server in windows 7.  If anyone else can think of something else I might try to rectify this I would be very greatful.  Unfortunately I am on a deadline for some submissions so if I can't solve this I might have to recreate stuff in 2D for the time being. 

Thank you,

Aaron

Mentor
thebearjed
Message 2 of 14 (1,053 Views)

Re: Ortho view bug?

01-09-2013 07:50 AM in reply to: aaronkromm9890

i am now having the exact same problem. anybody???

Contributor
aaronkromm9890
Message 3 of 14 (1,050 Views)

01-09-2013 09:02 AM in reply to: thebearjed

My problem with this was due to the structural file that was exported from Revit. When I took the structural cad file out of the Ortho cut it would work fine.  My work around was to remove structural and just have structural create 2d section exports from their revit drawing for me to overlay my orthos onto.  If someone has other ideas I would also like to get some kind of fix for this.

Mentor
thebearjed
Message 4 of 14 (1,045 Views)

01-09-2013 10:30 AM in reply to: aaronkromm9890

good to know...my fix was to just cut Orthos the old fashion way. making my own view ports, 3d clipping, and good layer control.

joelsymonds
Message 5 of 14 (1,012 Views)

01-15-2013 08:58 AM in reply to: aaronkromm9890

I had exactly the same issue with Revit exports in my equipment layout. My workaround was to actually tag the structural xref as a piece of Plant equipment. I created a new equipment class that could easily be filtered out of any equipment reports and tagged it as Str-001. Orthos then ran exactly as they should, with all steelwork and equipment present and correct.

Contributor
aaronkromm9890
Message 6 of 14 (1,009 Views)

01-15-2013 10:14 AM in reply to: joelsymonds

Thanks Joel!

That is definitely an interesting idea. I'm going to have to give it a try.

Active Contributor
tgwestbrook
Message 7 of 14 (853 Views)

04-22-2013 11:41 AM in reply to: aaronkromm9890

Just ran into the same issue.

Imported steel models from Revit and Prosteel make Ortho creator fail (Without error message or program crash).  Remove the steel model from the included model list and the creator works fine.

Anyone know if this issue has been fixed in 2014?

Distinguished Contributor
Arun_Kumar_K
Message 8 of 14 (832 Views)

04-23-2013 09:05 AM in reply to: aaronkromm9890
Bring the models after converted into ACIS format. You won't face any issues. Need more information on this, please let me know
ted.moberg
Message 9 of 14 (601 Views)

09-19-2013 07:48 AM in reply to: aaronkromm9890
We have the same issue. We bring the STR export DWG in from Revit daily to Plant 3d. saving over the DWG on the Plant 3D Models folder then from the Project manager in Plant, remove the STR model from the project and Copy Drawing to Project right back in again.
gerard.payet
Message 10 of 14 (466 Views)

11-11-2013 05:21 AM in reply to: aaronkromm9890

Same problem here, worked fine last week, now today whenever I try to create an orthoview nothing happens, it just hangs up. Using Plant 3D 2013 Premium, all software updates are OK.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Plant 3D Category!

The AutoCAD Plant 3D forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.