AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ortho and ISO updating after model changes

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Jorgen1990
1006 Views, 1 Reply

Ortho and ISO updating after model changes

Hi, everyone!

I am currently working on a mediu-sized project in Plant 3D 2013 and I see a lot of trouble with it. The biggest and most time-wasting issue is making changes to piping design that is already issued as orthos and isometrics. In Plant 3D demo videos you can see, how easy it is to update orhtos and isometrics with one click, but in reality, I have to practically re-do all the isos and orthos every time something is changed. The reason might be that, as our company lacks a dedicated employee (Plant 3D manager) who would go deep into coding and all sort of IT chemistry of the program, we haven't been able to do nessecary amount of customization and set-up in the program. After all, we are pipng designers, not IT personnel...

Some examples of the problems:

As the orhtos generated by Plant 3D are never the way I really need them - Plant 3D cuts othos by orthogonal planes, so always some unwanted objects come to the ortho, for example orthocube cuts the upper edge of a tank of  some vertex of a pump that is really useless information on ortho, so I have to manually delete them and then manually draw the lost pipes that were hidden by the useless section of a tank... - I have to make a lot of manual changes to an ortho and when I need to make changes in 3D piping, I need to make ALL of  the manual changes on orthos again.

An annoying thing is also that orhos made from different view directions (front view, left view ...) are not all projected on XY plane, which would be logical in a 2D dwg, instead they are aligned perpendiculariliy (left view is on a YZ plane in ortho dwg, so I have to rotate in model space of 2D dwg). That makes changing the orthos difficult, I would have to always rotate the model space, so usually I manually align all views to XY plane before modifications, but then I lose the Ortho View connection between 3D Model and the Ortho dwg...

Same goes with ISO-s. As I practically NEVER get isometrics of a single pipeline on a single iso dwg, rather I get 4 iso dwg-s from a simple pipeline, which is unacceptable, I have to manually copy and paste those 4 different iso-s into one dwg and combine them into one iosometric, also I have to combine the bill of materials. When I change the 3D piping and create new iso-s, all this work has to be done again.

I am not looking for direct solutions to these problems, as these have been discussed here many times, but I'd like to know if anyone has managed to set up their Plant 3D software the way that this kind of updating after changing 3D really works with "one click" the way it should? Because the way I am working is clearly not effective...

Thanks if you took the trouble to read and even more, if to answer

Jörgen

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Attila.Vallyon
in reply to: Jorgen1990

There is no such a thing that "one click" update which will update all of the dwgs in the project.

BUT

1. Why do you need to have all 2D views in XY plane? In the ortho it does not matter because those are in the paper space anyway.

2. If you modified the model and saved on it, go back to the ortho dwg and left click on the ortho dwg in the project manager window and all of the views will be updated.

3. I understand you use 2013, but If you upgrage to 2014 there are really a LOT ortho improvements. Check the new features.

For example, now it is possible to create a complex sketch volume, you can add jogs now.

4. About update the ISOs: well you should check in this forum about this.

For example:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Plant-3D/Force-iso-onto-one-sheet/m-p/3275015/highlight/true#M...

That way you can reduce the iso sheets.

Regards,
Attila Vallyon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost