AutoCAD Plant 3D General DIscussion

Valued Contributor
alvaro.nimasco
Message 1 of 7 (290 Views)

ORTHO VIEW AND EXT-REFS

290 Views, 6 Replies
09-28-2011 04:41 AM

Hi,

when we create orthographic views of a Plant 3D drawing that has an external reference 3d file, when we turn off and/or freeze layers of the external reference, this layers appear ON in the result ortho view. We need this layers from the ext ref to behave the same way as in a normal 3d file, is it possible ?

Thanks

Valued Contributor
alvaro.nimasco
Message 2 of 7 (289 Views)

Re: ORTHO VIEW AND EXT-REFS

09-28-2011 04:52 AM in reply to: alvaro.nimasco

We use AutoCAD Plant3D 2011 SP1

Contributor
flemster911
Message 3 of 7 (256 Views)

10-04-2011 05:23 AM in reply to: alvaro.nimasco

This still doesn't work in Plant 3D 2012...

Valued Contributor
alvaro.nimasco
Message 4 of 7 (232 Views)

10-10-2011 02:47 AM in reply to: flemster911

So much emphasis on using xrefs on midium large projects to endup not finalising stuff, can not find the meaning. Is there a solutions to this ?  The aplication becomes unstable putting everything in the same model. Please reply. thanks

AutoCAD Plant3D 2011 SP1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X990 @ 3.47GHz 3.88 GHz

RAM: 24,0 GB

Main System SSD - Gen3 SSHD Technology - Intel 510 Series

Quadro FX 5000

Windows 7 Professional 64 bits

Contributor
eski
Message 5 of 7 (143 Views)

07-10-2012 12:35 PM in reply to: alvaro.nimasco

I have tested many methods for this and cannont get it to work as of yet.  I am attaching another thread where i have raised the same question and have explained some of my methods.  I've tried in 2013 plant3d as well and it still doesnt work.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Plant-3D/freezing-layers-in-Orthographic-View-Selection-or-in-...

Mentor
attila_vallyon
Message 6 of 7 (133 Views)

07-11-2012 01:03 AM in reply to: alvaro.nimasco

It works for me. I turn off the specific layer in the base model and the xref model as well. Than it won't be visible in the ortho view.

Regards,
Attila Vallyon
Contributor
eski
Message 7 of 7 (129 Views)

07-11-2012 05:19 AM in reply to: alvaro.nimasco

I understand that process may work for you, but we would not like to be freezing layers in the base model.  Other coworkers will be xreffing that file into their own for coordination, and if there are layers frozen in the base model than they may miss out on information.

Also, what if you want to have multiple ortho plans within the same area but showing different things.  You would have to freeze layers in the base and create the ortho.  Then if you want the same area but a different layer frozen you would have to freeze the new layer and thaw the one previously frozen.  Then create the new ortho view.  But say you want to go back and update the first ortho view.  You would then have to go back to the base model, thaw the latest frozen layer and refreeze the first frozen layer associated to the first ortho you created.  This is just a very simplistic situation, and it would be way too complicated to keep everything straight and coordinated.

Autodesk must make improvements to the ortho creation in order for us to use it on large projects.  I just does not seem to work very will and is very limited in its abilitly to convey information on the drawings.  

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Plant 3D Category!

The AutoCAD Plant 3D forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community