AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ORTHO VIEW AND EXT-REFS

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
532 Views, 6 Replies

ORTHO VIEW AND EXT-REFS

Hi,

when we create orthographic views of a Plant 3D drawing that has an external reference 3d file, when we turn off and/or freeze layers of the external reference, this layers appear ON in the result ortho view. We need this layers from the ext ref to behave the same way as in a normal 3d file, is it possible ?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

We use AutoCAD Plant3D 2011 SP1

Message 3 of 7
flemster911

This still doesn't work in Plant 3D 2012...

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: flemster911

So much emphasis on using xrefs on midium large projects to endup not finalising stuff, can not find the meaning. Is there a solutions to this ?  The aplication becomes unstable putting everything in the same model. Please reply. thanks

AutoCAD Plant3D 2011 SP1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X990 @ 3.47GHz 3.88 GHz

RAM: 24,0 GB

Main System SSD - Gen3 SSHD Technology - Intel 510 Series

Quadro FX 5000

Windows 7 Professional 64 bits

Message 5 of 7
eski

I have tested many methods for this and cannont get it to work as of yet.  I am attaching another thread where i have raised the same question and have explained some of my methods.  I've tried in 2013 plant3d as well and it still doesnt work.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Plant-3D/freezing-layers-in-Orthographic-View-Selection-or-in-...

Message 6 of 7
Attila.Vallyon

It works for me. I turn off the specific layer in the base model and the xref model as well. Than it won't be visible in the ortho view.

Regards,
Attila Vallyon
Message 7 of 7
eski

I understand that process may work for you, but we would not like to be freezing layers in the base model.  Other coworkers will be xreffing that file into their own for coordination, and if there are layers frozen in the base model than they may miss out on information.

Also, what if you want to have multiple ortho plans within the same area but showing different things.  You would have to freeze layers in the base and create the ortho.  Then if you want the same area but a different layer frozen you would have to freeze the new layer and thaw the one previously frozen.  Then create the new ortho view.  But say you want to go back and update the first ortho view.  You would then have to go back to the base model, thaw the latest frozen layer and refreeze the first frozen layer associated to the first ortho you created.  This is just a very simplistic situation, and it would be way too complicated to keep everything straight and coordinated.

Autodesk must make improvements to the ortho creation in order for us to use it on large projects.  I just does not seem to work very will and is very limited in its abilitly to convey information on the drawings.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost