AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loosing line number!?

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
Fragels
5274 Views, 33 Replies

Loosing line number!?

I keep loosing line number information. It dissapears from my line number list and the pipe in the model also loses it's line number and becomes Unassigned. I do not use the P&ID application, only Plant 3d and it's line list under Home - Part Insertion

This has happened multiple times for one particular line number.

So far I have not noticed any other line in my project but I have not checked all of them.

The tag format setup for my pipes is:

P3d Line Group.Number[A] - TargetObject.Service - TargetObject.Nominal Size

Is this a known problem?

Is there a solution?

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
maxdc
in reply to: Fragels

I had the same problem, the only solution I found was to create a new project and link all the drawings to the new project.

I was using P&ID App, but as Peter Quinn reply on my post, the data isn't linked so, maybe this helps you too

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Plant-3D/help-needed-Missing-data-from-P-amp-ID/td-p/2749740

Max

Message 3 of 34
DLee_XstrataTech
in reply to: maxdc

Looks like the issue is still there after running the latest service pack.

I can route a new line number or change a line to a new line number and have it alter back to Unassigned when re-opening the drawing.

The layer stays there but all the components jump off to layer 0 again.

Hmmm, not sure what's going on.

Message 4 of 34
Rich.O.3d

Ive (we've) been getting the same thing happen from time to time.

Its a bit random.

I can restart Plant3d and even reboot pc several times but the tags still drop off, then come in the next day and the tags hold!

I think it may be the flakey database engine and windows routines being used by the standard install.

Were in the process of migrating to a full SQL database in the hopes it will stabalize it a bit.

I'm currently working on a reasonble sized project with over 200 plus lines\300 plus Iso's and from 3 to 6 people accessing the plant3d project at any one time.

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 5 of 34

You could be on to something there with DB access. I'm just local at the moment for setup and trial.

Could you report back when you've got some experience with the fill SQL DB?

Thanks,

Dave

Message 6 of 34
Fragels

It's been 3 years and today i experiencing the same problem! Not acceptable!

I have assigned line numbers in a model and some of them changes to "Unassigned". I can not set these pipes to the correct line number. It instantly jumps back to Unassigned. If i choose a random line number it works fine.

Any solutions?

Message 7 of 34
roakley

wish i could say im having the same problem...i can drive plant3d like the stig...but im stuck doing 2d cut and paste autocad work...have skills will travel

Message 8 of 34
Rich.O.3d

wish i could say im having the same problem...i can drive plant3d like the stig...but im stuck doing 2d cut and paste autocad work...have skills will travel

CAD Management 101:
Message 9 of 34
Attila.Vallyon

I had the same problem recently.

What happened actually that the line number tag propereties disappeared - became blank.

What I did was that I reassigned all properties than the tag number came back.

Regards,
Attila Vallyon
Message 10 of 34
PeterQuinn
in reply to: Attila.Vallyon

A few months back, we found some circumstances where this happens and issued a hotfix for 2013. It's fixed in 2014. I don't recall the exact set of steps that would trigger this to happen.

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 34
Attila.Vallyon

Thank you!

We are using the 2014 version now, no problem so far.

Let's hope it stays that way.

Regards,
Attila Vallyon
Message 12 of 34
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: Attila.Vallyon

if your using the dbase that plant installs, your probably gonna get the issues coming back.

I found that having a proper instance of full SQL (any of its full variants as apposed to the 'LITE' versions (LITE = dont try and add more than 5 elements to the database) resolved quite a few of the tagging and dropped data problems

CAD Management 101:
Message 13 of 34
Attila.Vallyon
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

I see! Interesting!

So, what would be the next step for us?

Regards,
Attila Vallyon
Message 14 of 34
willinbrief
in reply to: PeterQuinn

Yeah, 2016 here and the issue is still alive and thriving.

Any Ideas?

Line Number Tags are being wiped out

Message 15 of 34
bgerig
in reply to: willinbrief

What I have found is, if you have an established line number tag and you modify the pipe or any component using the substitution menu or change size of the object using the properties of the object, it will wipe out or jumble the line number tag. A lot of times it will go unassigned or you will end up of with a tag repeats the service. It will affect everything on that group and your line number will disappear from the list because it reassignes everything on that list. Does this sound simialr to what is happening to you?

Brady Gerig
Shambaugh and Son
Message 16 of 34
Ted_Hadden
in reply to: bgerig

2016 user here, with latest updates and hotfixes.  I too am experiencing the loss of input information.  C'mon devs, let's get this corrected.

In the mean time, I am still an extraordinarily new user to the P&ID segment of the Plant 3D suite package.  Aside from the information stated above, I also have issues with not being able to use multiple line tag types/numbers on an apparent group.   Perhaps this has been asked before, and maybe I've read the solution already, but not recognizing the terminology used by some of the comments, missed my solution.

What I'm looking to do is have my main trunk line have one number, and the ensuing branches off that trunk line to have different numbers, for example, I have a 4" trunk/manifold with a line number of 116, and off this manifold I am running 2 or more branches that I want to number 117-1 & 117-2.  But because the line appears to be one continuous group when selected, I cannot name/number my branches differently from the manifold/trunk line.

Any help with this would be appreciated.  I've tried a number of SLINEEDIT commands and other different things, including the core "BREAK" command hoping to interrupt the association but to no avail and no joy.

I appreciate everyone's comments on this.

Respectfully,

T.

Message 17 of 34
bgerig
in reply to: Ted_Hadden

What you need to do is select your group that is all under the same line number ( i believe you just have to select one segment) and right click and choose the command "Edit Sline Group" and then choose remove. Remove all of your branch lines and once you exit the command these segments will be taken out of the group which will allow you to assign tag and use a different line number. Hope this helps

Brady Gerig
Shambaugh and Son
Message 18 of 34
phwatso
in reply to: Ted_Hadden

When you draw the branches after the first click look down at the command line where there will be options to create a new line number (Continue sline group/New sline group etc).
Message 19 of 34
Ted_Hadden
in reply to: bgerig

Thanks bgerig,  This suggestion doesn't work so well on it's own but an interesting thought.  What I did find out however, is that it works well with the next suggestion below yours.  🙂

Thanks.

Message 20 of 34
Ted_Hadden
in reply to: phwatso

Greetings phwatso,

Well how about that, normally I pay atttention to the command line but for whatever reasons, I seem to have failed to do that exercise with Plant P&ID. Thank you.  As mentioned above however, it's not always the immediate and correct solution, as I do at times have to do as bgerig suggested above, but this appears to be the best solution so far.

Thank you again.

Respectfully,

T.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost