AutoCAD Plant 3D General

Contributor
dustyray2010
Message 1 of 7 (584 Views)

Jacketed Pipe

584 Views, 6 Replies
06-02-2011 07:27 AM

Has anyone ever written a spec for jacketed pipe?

(inner pipe and an outer pipe)

We have an upcoming project requiring it.

Is this even possible?

Dusty
Valued Contributor
Message 2 of 7 (576 Views)

Re: Jacketed Pipe

06-02-2011 10:29 AM in reply to: dustyray2010

Which problem do you have? You can create new kind of pipes and fittings that have higher fisical diameter and in the description indicate that this pipe is Jacketed Pipe. All fittings is nessessary todo with flange ports.

Contributor
dustyray2010
Message 3 of 7 (573 Views)

06-02-2011 11:00 AM in reply to: bogdanov.y

Thanks,

I was hoping for a spec that would give both pipe sizes, inner and outer, along with fittings.

But, if nothing exists, I'll write one.

Dusty
Message 4 of 7 (515 Views)

06-14-2011 08:55 AM in reply to: dustyray2010

Would be interested to know how this turns out for you. 

I had looked at it in the past, but was unable to find a solution that worked.  Writing the spec to include both pipe sizes might be the best way to do it.

barrera.batel
Message 5 of 7 (425 Views)

01-19-2012 04:27 AM in reply to: dustyray2010

the jacketing of pipes is a type of insulation, if we take this consideration, and in addition to that, the flanges and fittings are ordered according to their inner diameter, I think it would be advisable to draw the lines in inner diameter and create the jacket as a measure which is the insulation outside diameter. enables the display of insulation, you can see the diameter of the jacket. I'm doing that. greetings!

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 6 of 7 (415 Views)

01-19-2012 07:58 AM in reply to: dustyray2010

Every piping design program I've worked with has had problems with jacketed piping.  It poses a number of unique problems:

- both inner and outer pipe components must be counted for BOM

- the external line may be insulated and/or have shoes/guides/other supports

- both internal and external runs are coincidental

- the outer run is discontinuous; in other words, it welds to the *back* of the mating flanges

- it should "iso out" with a minimum of user intervention

I've seen a number of different ways of handling this.  Some model the internal pipe only and use insulation to simulate the jacket.  Some model the jacket and have it count the core piping virtually (good for lots of pre-fab connections).  Or the jacket and core can be run in separate models with associated (but not idential) line numbers.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

barrera.batel
Message 7 of 7 (325 Views)

06-29-2012 06:52 AM in reply to: dustyray2010

we had to do it. create some pipes that indicate the inner diameter, but are plotted with the outside diameter and use the inside diameter flanges. in the list of materials shows the inner and outer diameter and the insulation is added on the widest diameter. was difficult but we did it!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Plant 3D Category!

The AutoCAD Plant 3D forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community