AutoCAD Plant 3D General

Contributor
Message 1 of 3 (351 Views)

How to handle Xref in Piping models

351 Views, 2 Replies
02-24-2012 04:58 AM

Dear Users,

I work now with Autoplant from Bentley. In Autoplant I use RWA work area to load, attach and unload xref drawings to my project. When I make a new piping file e.g. Plant Air.dwg I want to have some of my equipment xreffed and some structural parts and even other piping files to detect clashes. How do I proper attach these drawings to my piping file? Is it done using plain Xref? Then I get circular references.

Please share your workflow.

Stephan 

*Expert Elite*
Rave.Tam
Message 2 of 3 (351 Views)

Re: How to handle Xref in Piping models

02-24-2012 07:26 AM in reply to: hardsniffer

Master drawing by area, which xref piping, equipment and structure. Piping will then xref the master drawing. Yes, you'll get circular reference but it will resolved automatically.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Check out my blog http://lazcad.com
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 3 of 3 (344 Views)

Re: How to handle Xref in Piping models

02-24-2012 11:27 AM in reply to: Rave.Tam

Circular XREFs should be easily broken, by OVERLAYing models for reference purposes and only ATTACHing models which are in any given sub-area.  It can take a bit of up-front planning but the organization makes coordination much easier, especially on projects with large numbers of models.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Plant 3D Category!

The AutoCAD Plant 3D forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community