AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to edit " Structural Catalog " file with Plant 3D 2012 Spec Editor?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
sgraveline
3057 Views, 8 Replies

How to edit " Structural Catalog " file with Plant 3D 2012 Spec Editor?

I would like to know how to modify the Structural Catalog file since the Spec Editor can't open it. The actual catalog is missing a lot of structural profiles. I would need someone from Autodesk to tell me exactly how I can do so. If we can't do it with the Pant 3D spec editor, which software should I use?

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
PeterJansoone
in reply to: sgraveline

The structural catalog is located in the CPAC common subfolder in the C:\AutoCAD Plant 3D 2012 Content directory.

When opening this catalog, you just need to set the extension to .acat in stead of .pcat.

In version 2011 you can only open .acat files when you use the open catalog command from the file menu.

Peter Jansoone
Consultant Plant Design Software
Greenock CAD Service
Message 3 of 9
sgraveline

Have you tried this on your side? Me, I already did and it's not working in Plant 3D. I renamed the extension (made a copy first) and Spec Editor is doing nothing with it. Everything within Spec Editor stays blank. Please try on your computer and let me know.

Message 4 of 9
PeterJansoone

oops, indeed, the structural catalog doesn't open. I was assuming it was the same as the Nozzle catalog, which works fine.

it seems that this is 'as designed'

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Plant-3D/Autocad-Plant-3D-2011-Structural-Catalog-acat-opennin...

sorry about my initial mistake

Peter Jansoone
Consultant Plant Design Software
Greenock CAD Service
Message 5 of 9
sgraveline
in reply to: PeterJansoone

Thanks for trying to help me on this.

Now, I'm asking this to Autodesk support team:

How can we manage to modify this "Structural Catalog"? What mean or what software can we use to "hard modify" it if we can't within Plant 3D? This is a basic thing that we should do IF we want to use Plant 3D to to plant design...

Message 6 of 9
jnmarsh02

It appears that depth and width variables are backwards for WT shapes. A WT4x12 should measure 4" deep and 6 1/2" wide. The model comes in 6 1/2" deep and 4" wide. We found this in 2011 and it appears that it has not been corrected in 2012. This could cause interference problems with designs during constructionn

Message 7 of 9
thebearjed
in reply to: jnmarsh02

has there been any resolution to this. being able to edit the structural catalog just like the others seems like a no brainier.
Message 8 of 9
chad70811
in reply to: thebearjed

+1. This is still an issue for us. Any solution for this Autodesk?

Message 9 of 9
thebearjed
in reply to: chad70811

i have discovered that you can open the file with an SQL editor like SQLite expert Personal.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost