AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I keep my line number tag after I copy the pipe to other drawing?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
winner117
5864 Views, 24 Replies

I try to wblock it, but after explode the line number tag disappear.....

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
Attila.Vallyon
in reply to: winner117

The two drawing should be part of the same project.

Than you can copy and paste components from one to another.

And you have to reassign the line tag.

Do not make block from P3D conponents.

Regards,
Attila Vallyon
Message 3 of 25
winner117
in reply to: Attila.Vallyon

But i want it copy with the same line tag number.....

There is no way but reassign the number??

Message 4 of 25
EricNyh

I would like to know if this can be done as well.  Would save me a bunch of time.

Message 5 of 25
Attila.Vallyon

At this moment I dont know how to do that. Because when I copy and paste the lines from one drwg to another the pasted line will be unassigned.

But since in the project the line tag already made, after you paste you can just select again the whole line and reassign in the scroll down line list.

Regards,
Attila Vallyon
Message 6 of 25
thebearjed

i REALLY wish it would retain its line number...quite frustrating.
Message 7 of 25
patpat79

Actually having it unassigned makes it best for us, for us, double checking lines for something like unchanged line number or line number errors due to copied pipe lines saves our time, and our minds.

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 8 of 25
PeterQuinn
in reply to: patpat79

If it's a copy in the same project, wouldn't keeping the same line number lead to duplicate line numbers? Can you give some background or describe a scenario when you need to copy a line and retain the line number?

Peter Quinn
Senior Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 25
paragnewe

@attila_vallyon wrote:

At this moment I dont know how to do that. Because when I copy and paste the lines from one drwg to another the pasted line will be unassigned.

But since in the project the line tag already made, after you paste you can just select again the whole line and reassign in the scroll down line list.

Hello Attila,

I am facing one problem which is similar to this procedure.

I have one line number name "100-A1A-EFF-40111" (A-pipe) which is connecting to "150-A1A-EFF-40113" (B-pipe)  with the TEE fitting. 

unfortunately one of user select "ALL connected part" option and assigned only  "100-A1A-EFF-40111" (A-pipe ) tag. 

now due to TEE connection, components from "150-A1A-EFF-40113" (B-pipe) are get converted to part of "100-A1A-EFF-40111" (A-pipe). and tag number  "150-A1A-EFF-40113" (B-pipe) is disappear from pull down menu. 

We tried to assign again same number to component after TEE component (component from B-pipe). but this time ACAD wont allow us to assign same number to particular pipe. and now we are trying to other name to perticular pipe but it shows "150-A1A-EFF-40113-A?" as a tag after iso-extraction and in Data manger.

we tried with AUDITPROJECT but still facing same problem. 

I tried to find "pnppurgelocalcache.exe" in my local drive. but cant able to find that. 

-Regards
Prag
Message 10 of 25
NormJ
in reply to: PeterQuinn

I have an example. One I'm working on now and I need a solution to this as well.

5 drawings in the same project. We now need to combine the drawings into 1 drawing. Xref won't work, because there are several pipes that need to be connected from one drawing to the other. Seems all copy options I've tried will paste piping, components, and layers - but the pipes do not keep the assigned line numbers. They are all going to 0. This is not good.

Thanks.

Message 11 of 25
patpat79
in reply to: NormJ

Hi NormJ, sorry for what i will say, but i think your problem is a user based problem. Xref always works, at least for us. And with regards to copying and pasting, whats the problem of copying form another drawing, pasting to your working drawing, selecting a single component of that pasted pipe run then do right click and choose "all connected parts", and I am assuming that your "pasted pipe run/assemby" will not automatically connect to anything right?? But then, if it is us who are working a scenario like that, we would'nt mind nor consider this as a problem because its just easy and not a big deal. (I preferrably will use Xref method all the time.) And after all, maybe your problem is not the pasting and copying ( but your working procedure of doing your project, just a guess, sorry.)

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 12 of 25
patpat79
in reply to: paragnewe

Hi Parag, Have you tried Audit project with no drawings open and only you/admin is the user using the project?? thanks.

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 13 of 25
NormJ

Thanks Pat for your response. Yes, we can select connected and assign the pipes. Was just looking for an easy way to include the lines. My first thought was the copy/paste would include that info. Time is money, so if I can save an hour or so, it's worth asking.

Message 14 of 25
patpat79
in reply to: NormJ

Yes time is money, that's why i had created tons of working procedures and standards to save time and errors for the designers using AP3D. As for your problem maybe you could use lisp or "what i had just think just now, though havent tried at all" , you can create a definecalculated property that automatically gets your Line number Tag and DO SOME WORK AROUND. As to my knowledge, i think that is possible.

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 15 of 25
paragnewe

john

how to do this defined calculated property?

any sop?

-Regards
Prag
Message 16 of 25
patpat79
in reply to: paragnewe

Its a bit hard to explain but you can make a custom property by using "plantdefinecalcproperty" command. You can try to create on your own. By this i had created many development on P3D complying our company Standards. It helped me very much validating P3D here vs. PDS, PDMS and SP3D which they are currently using.

Best Regards,
Pat Andres
Autodesk Expert Elite
Plant 3D Administrator
GHD Manila

Message 17 of 25
JamieZwicker

Hello Pat,

I see that i'm replying to an old post, apologies.

I'm having the same problem and i'm wondering if it has been addressed by AutoDesk yet.  I have a pipe file (call is SYSTEM 1) with four pipes.  The line numbers would be 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4.

I want to copy that piping file and label it as system 2, but with the same line numbers.  The line numbers would be 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4.

I have created another "field" in the Project Setup window (Plant 3D DWG Settings/Plant 3D Line Group/P3d Line Group--> Add a property and named it "SYSTEM").  Then i created a custom line label template where SYSTEM is included.  Now i can have 100's of identical systems, with the exact same line numbers, just with different system numbers (SIZE-SYSTEM-NUMBER--> 4"-001-001 versus 4"-002-001, 4"-003-001, 4"-004-001, 4"-005-001, etc).

I though i found a way to do so.  By labeling the file piping file as desired, then do a SAVE AS-->File 2, then moving this system to be in the desired spot.  However, when i go to relabel the system from 1 to 2, Autocad also relables all the pipes in my file 1, as if they're linked. 

Any help?

Message 18 of 25

I would like to know the best way to do this also. Right now I have a model with 10 lines in it one of the lines hasa revision to it so our client has sent just that pipeline to us to place into the model. I dont want to have multiple files for every revision I have I just want to take the new file that has the one line with the revisions made and replace the current line in our active model. I want to do this and keep the data that is in the new model but I can't find a way to keep insulation thickness and insulation type from turning to question marks. Can someone tell me the proper way to do this?

Message 19 of 25
jabowabo
in reply to: BSchwartzkopf

There's no way to do this out-of-the-box. It can be done through the API only but this requires a knowledge of .NET.

Message 20 of 25
concadman

The best solution I found was editing via the Data Manager, and found here: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-plant-3d/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/...

Quite simple really. Once sorted by 'Area', click in the first cell to highlight your pipe run in the model, mouse over the pipe to get its details, then enter them into the cells accordingly. You then need to close and re-open the model for it to populate fully in the properties palette.

Yes the project and drawings should be set out correctly in the first place, but if you have a client like mine, where they want to swap and change, you need to be flexible or get out of the industry.

Scratch that, it only works for a select few lines.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost