AutoCAD Plant 3D General DIscussion

Valued Contributor
JRPalmer
Message 1 of 6 (1,948 Views)

Flex Connectors

1948 Views, 5 Replies
06-03-2011 02:48 PM

I work with a lot of piping that requires flex connectors. I am not a 100% sure how to create something that would look like that in the plant 3d model, I also do not know how I would create an Iso Symbol for it.

The only thing I can think of is getting two flanges and then creating some sort of wavy surface with AutoCAD equivalent of a revolve tool, but that would still leave out how to get it to show on an iso drawing.

Contributor
DLee_XstrataTech
Message 2 of 6 (1,924 Views)

Re: Flex Connectors

06-05-2011 03:59 PM in reply to: JRPalmer

I've got a custom part catalog that I've made up for our stuff.

Roughly the steps are like this:

• Model your flex
  • Save it in a good place
  • Run 'plantpartconvert' and add the ports, save again.
  • Then chuck it into your custom catalog see this attachment (image056.jpg)
  • Then add it to your spec.

Note: Iso symbol type & Iso symbol SKEY entries.

Regs.

Dave

Valued Mentor
Rich.O.3d
Message 3 of 6 (1,912 Views)

06-05-2011 09:07 PM in reply to: JRPalmer

I'm having similar issues.

if you use the iso symbol as noted (EXFL Misc-Component) then your iso will work fine as long as there is not any angular misalignment being taken up by the 'Flex Coupling' (plant talks about 'expansion belows' instead of 'flex connectors' - for taking up expansion axialy along the length of the pipe, not for axial misalignment).

If you make a custompart of a flex coupling to connect a misaligned piperun then when the iso is produced (production doesnt seem to work - quick iso does) the flex coupling will show as straight (with dims) and the actual point where the line changes direction moves to the next node on the pipe!

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Contributor
DLee_XstrataTech
Message 4 of 6 (1,905 Views)

06-05-2011 10:58 PM in reply to: Rich.O.3d

Just wondering if the 'block offset' isogen symbol would work for that. It might look a little odd though.

See image: isogen symbols.jpg

Otherwise, what I've done for a really odd component is change it to a peice of equipment and just connect to it. Then tag it as an SP item & detail it on another drawing.

Hope this gives you options?

Valued Mentor
Rich.O.3d
Message 5 of 6 (1,869 Views)

06-06-2011 04:35 PM in reply to: DLee_XstrataTech

i dont think the block offset will work...the lines arent 'offset', they are 'misaligned'

Ive used the hose symbol (FXFL) its not ideal buut it works the best for the options ive tried.

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Valued Contributor
JRPalmer
Message 6 of 6 (1,832 Views)

06-08-2011 07:42 AM in reply to: JRPalmer

I have the model the way I need it to look, I entered in the values for the ISO Symbols, but it wont let me save it.

Thanks for all the help.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Plant 3D Category!

The AutoCAD Plant 3D forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community