AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Recovery

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
TRdesigner82
764 Views, 3 Replies

Drawing Recovery

In my Plant3D training class we were told not to use the Drawing Recovery. Can someone explain to me why this shouldn't be used? During a recent forum seach, I was seeing were a lot of users are using it and I'm trying to figure out if there is actually a good reason why I was told not to. Any pros/cons of using it vs. not using it?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
eadkins73
in reply to: TRdesigner82

From what I understand it has to do with the database.  Recoving the drawing puts bad data into the database.  I have had it happen were there were items in the database that were in none of the drawings and auditing the project wasn't able to get rid of it.  Things like random weld dots, duplicate components right over the top of others (i.e two of the same lines on top of each other).  Which made my BOM come out incorrect.

That's why I save often so when it crashes I only have to redo a few min of work.

Ed Adkins
EA2 Engineering
www.ea2eng.com
Message 3 of 4
TRdesigner82
in reply to: eadkins73

How does this differ from going and grabbing a backed up version from before there was a problem? Wouldn't that cause similar issues? If so, what is the proper way to fix issues with a drawing that will no longer open or says it needs recovery?

Message 4 of 4
eadkins73
in reply to: TRdesigner82

That's a very good question.  I haven't tried that.  But the problem I had was fixable in recovery mode but it would have been quicker for me to redraw it.

Maybe it's possible to do a recovery, save, then remove the drawing from the project (thereby removing all the data from the database), and then re-add it to the project.  Maybe that would fix the database in that case.  I'll try next time I crash

Ed Adkins
EA2 Engineering
www.ea2eng.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost