AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Field in Plant 3D specs

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
tyler.moore
1149 Views, 7 Replies

Custom Field in Plant 3D specs

Hi,

We are currently evaluating the Plant 3D suite to see if its a good alternative for our 3D package.  We are normally an Autoplant Shop with a little bit of cadworx thrown in from time to time.  

My Question is to do with customization of the specs.  We need to be able to add 1 or maybe 2 custom columns in the specs at a client request.  These columns will need to be populated through the excel export and back in.  This is for the addition of a client commodity code and description in the 2 new columns.  I found that i can add our own internal tracking codes to the ItemCode field but we also need to be able to add the client codes as well.

In Autoplant this is quite easy with using Access database as the specs.  

Everything else about Plant 3D i really like but if we can't customize the specs to make it work for client requirments then it could be out.

Has anyone had to do this at all or know how to do this?

Any help or guidance will be much appreciated...

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ybogdanov
in reply to: tyler.moore

Enter in the Project Setup and in the Class Definitions of 3D you can add new properties for ever component. If you will create the same propertie in the Spec Editor this propertie will be automatically maped, and all information which you write in Spec Editor appear in the 3D project.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yury Bogdanov
ASIDEK(Grupo CT) - Partner Directo de Autodesk
Barcelona (Spain)
Message 3 of 8
tyler.moore

Thanks.. I will give that a try...

Message 4 of 8
tyler.moore
in reply to: ybogdanov

Hi Yury,

Where do i add the additional fields in the spec editor?  I was able to add the properties in project manager.  I would like to be able to add these fields now to the catalog, populate them and then bring that into a new spec that has the fields.  This would also then be required to be able to be pulled onto the BOM report as well as show on the isos.  

Thanks

Message 5 of 8
ybogdanov

Enter in the Spec Editor and open one spec. In the Spec doble click to any component and will be opened "Edit Parts" window. In the up part of this window there are one botton "Edit Properties" where you can add 3 type propertie: text, numeric and boolean.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yury Bogdanov
ASIDEK(Grupo CT) - Partner Directo de Autodesk
Barcelona (Spain)
Message 6 of 8
tyler.moore
in reply to: ybogdanov

Hi Yury,

Thanks for your help I was able to do that now.  The only other issue i have is that i can't add the codes to the catalog.  There doesn't seem to be a way to add fields to the catalog like you can with the specs.

Is there a way to open the catalog and modfiy it through the back end or is there another way to do it?

We would like to be able to prepare a client catalog with all the codes that can then come accross to the specs when we create them.  

Just adding them to the specs can work but it seems like a bit of an extra step.  If we only have to input the codes and descriptions once and be able to build all our specs from the one client catalog would be a huge time saver...

Thanks

Message 7 of 8
R.Hoesel

Hi guys!

I tried to do the explained action. (I use Plant2012) I added a user defined Attribute at Spec Editor and the same in Plant3D. I see the attribute f.i. on Pipe but empty.

So I take a look in Spec Editor again. My attribute is still there, but empty. I fill it again. Apply. I can see what I wrote. Save. Again empty. Do I have to try until he got it? Would like to use it.

thanks bert

Message 8 of 8
jheisler

Tyler,

If you go into spec editor, open your catalog then go to menus at very top of dialog you'll see "catalogs" menu. Fly it out and choose modify catalog properties. In there you'll be able to do what you are looking to accomplish.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost