AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Custome Parts. Port creation issues

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
JC4159
986 Views, 3 Replies

Creating Custome Parts. Port creation issues

Hi

I was wondering if anybody might be able to help me.

I have just started to use Plant 3D and am trying to make some custom parts. and have encountered a few problems.

1. Have followed teh on-line instructions that say to creat a custom part I must insert a block into the Plant drawing I am in and convert it to an Plant part by adding ports. And when I select that part to add the ports. I try to snap to one of teh flange ends and it makes the port about 1 meter away at a point that I have not selected and there is acutally nothing there for it to snap to and it seems to save them. I always go in and try and delete the ports and trya again and allways get the same answer. Is there some tolerance that I do not know of as I could not find any help on-line.

2. I have tried to create the the same part in a completly blank drawing and it does not seem to want to save the ports at all.

I have put a copy of this block with this question.

i just wonder is there some step that I do not know of? or some knowledge that I can't find.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
btrevena
in reply to: JC4159

For component blocks to retain port definitions set by PlantPartConvert it is best to do the following:

-   Using Windows Explorer to create a new folder at the location of your catalogue,
-   This folder needs to be named exactly as the catalogue is named, but without the ".pcat" extension,
-   Create a drawing file (any name) in this folder,
-   Create your block definitions in this drawing,
-   For consistency I create my blocks aligned with the "X" axis, but this may not be necessary,
-   Use the PlantPartConvert command to attach port definitions to these blocks,
-   You can now use these blocks in the Catalog And Spec Editor's Create Component command.

Good luck,

Bruce

Message 3 of 4
JC4159
in reply to: btrevena

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the Advice I will try it. and let you know how it goes

Message 4 of 4
hussain
in reply to: JC4159

Hello JC,

I have been getting the same problem after a lot of practice and wastage of my valuable time i found the answer.

The answer to this problem is you just wait for some time after you have created a block( 10 - 30 Minutes) and after that you would be able to catch the sanp points of the flanges as required.

Although this sounds to be weird as there might be some magic but it is the only solution i had found else if you have contact with autodesk plant support team , consult them with this issue and please post it on the forum.

Thanks & Regards,

Imran hussain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost