AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colour Coding Pipes

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
JohnHolder
7983 Views, 8 Replies

Colour Coding Pipes

This has been in the back of my mind for a while now.

Inside <Project Setup> <Plant 3D DWG Settings> <Layer and Color Settings>

I have the <Piping settings> to assign colour according to the service

RS ( recirc supply ) is blue

RR ( recirc return ) is green

etc.

I also use alot of custom blocks since the sch 40 library is lacking.

Native pipe fittings always change colour but the custom fittings always remain white.

is there a setting that I can change?  or what is going on.  It's not a huge issue, the drawing

sets are done in B&W but for 3d DWF's clients like the coloured pipes because it helps them 

understand the water flow much easier and it's a wee bit annoying having a bunch of white fittings 

inbetween nicely coloured pipes.

any suggestions?

and enjoy your weekend people!

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't.
-------------------------------------
"Do or do not... there is no try"
Master Yoda.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: JohnHolder

Custom content color BYLAYER or BYBLOCK?  Or hard-coded color?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 9
dave.wolfe

You have to set the objects color to byblock

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 4 of 9
JohnHolder
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Ok, in the active drawing, changing the parts to <byblock> did nothing

I selected one fitting - changed it to <byblock> then went into the <Data Manager> and changed the service group to force a line colour change - nothing.  Then went into <Bedit> to check that fitting which was already <byblock>

also doing the same as above to bylayer of course did nothing.

I also noticed if I select the part, it is a service <RR> line, the colour is blue.  I change it to <byblock>

force the line colour change in the <Data Manager> it reverts back to the colour and not <byblock>

So where do I need to be changing it?  Do I have to go back to the original file where I created the blocks change it there then update each block in the spec editor? - asking first before attempting this since it is a large job.... 8(

John.

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't.
Master Yoda.
Message 5 of 9
dave.wolfe

You should set it to ByBlock before you created the part. After that, you can edit the block definition in the drawing that contains the part, or in any of the models it is used in (for existing components).

Dave Wolfe

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 6 of 9
PatrickByrne

It also depends on what your Layer and Color Settings are.

I have mine set up to Assign layer by Spec and Assign color by Layer. This helps later on if I want to change the color of the model in the xref assembly.

I have also put a request in the 2014 wish list so that you could set up the layer color in the project properties.

Message 7 of 9
PatrickByrne
in reply to: PatrickByrne

To add to the above, my custom blocks are then set to Bylayer

Message 8 of 9
dave.wolfe
in reply to: PatrickByrne

If you want the block to assume the layer and color automatically from the settings, you should set it to by block before creating the custom part.

http://docs.autodesk.com/PLNT3D/2013/ENU/filesPCR/GUID-E40E4CF9-B900-4599-A987-641F1FFF33C2.htm

Dave Wolfe

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 9 of 9
JohnHolder

Ok got it working.  When I was testing it, what happened was the True union ball valve was a block in a block - I did not notice it right away.  when I exploded the inner block then set it to <by block> it worked.  takes a few minutes per drawing... but looks like I will have to have a look at my spec again and correct this so it doesn't happen again.

Thanks

Master Yoda.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost