AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot add new drawing

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
woolydave
4388 Views, 25 Replies

Cannot add new drawing

Hi all,

I was working away with my project when one of the files failed to load properly, so I audited and purged, closed the project and reopened the project.  Then the drawing dissapeared from the Plant3D drawings list in the project manager but it is still on the Plant3D drawings folder.  I then tried to "Copy drawing to project" and I'm getting the following message

Error occurs while trying to open the following drawing(s). Please make sure that the drawing(s) is valid and that it(they) is not opened in another process.

Can anyone help with this?  I can open the drawing but not through the project manager, so all cant be too bad? I just need to get it back into the project structure in order to continue working on it.

Thanks.

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
btrevena
in reply to: woolydave

Hi Dave,

I think your drawing has been copied or savedas using AutoCAD.

You could wblock the contents of the drawing to a new file using AutoCAD and copy this file to the project, but you will lose your pipe properties and all components will be disconnected. You will at least regain your geometry.

Someone else may know of a better way?

Bruce

Message 3 of 26
jabowabo

Try this:

- Create a new project drawing and open it.  

- Use the insert command with 'explode' checked to bring the old drawing into the new one.

Message 4 of 26
andre.a.de.souza
in reply to: jabowabo

Hi folks,

I have the exact  same problem... and it happened twice alredy.

First time I did save the main model in regular Autocad.. this time I didn't.

When I opened the DWG it kept saying I had to update the project database, whenever I did I would lose all pipe intelligence. If I didn't update project database the drawing would be file locked for saving.

Then I chose to remove the model from the Project and then bring it back by copying it to Project.. after that the I get the error message:

NOt all Files cuold be added to the project

Error occurs while trying to open the following drawing(s). Please make sure that the drawing(s) is valid and that  it(they) is not opened in another process.

Any help.

Thanks

Message 5 of 26
vakhtang
in reply to: andre.a.de.souza

did you try to purge a cache ? i had problems opening a project - got away after purging.

Message 6 of 26
universalpiping

Running into this exact same issue, I have tried all of the previous suggestions.  When I insert as a wblock and explode all the piping components disappear completely. 

Has anyone come up with a proper solution?

Intel(r) Xeon(R) CUPI E3-1505Mv5@2.80ghz
32 gb ram
win 10 x 64 bit OS x64 based processor
Autocad Plant Design Suite Ultimate 2017
Message 7 of 26
JustDanD
in reply to: universalpiping

Sounds very similar to an issue we had. Are you use an SQL or SQLite database. We had lost mapping to the SQL sever. See here for our solution.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-plant-3d-general/ortho-drawings-have-disappered-from-the-proje...

Message 8 of 26
d.ramasamy

this did not work for me.

any other suggestion?

Message 9 of 26
anileng88

If you did SAVEAS on some other folder, please try to copy the file from the same folder. then do SAVEAS again and save it in your folder. You will get it.

Message 10 of 26
daLeed
in reply to: anileng88

COME ON AUTODESK WHATS THE SOLUTION ??

we have multiple users on different projects with these drawing corruption issues occurring.

Drawings not be able to be re-imported, drawings when exploded some or all piping entities disappear

anything to do with SSD?

Message 11 of 26
mfanning
in reply to: daLeed

Same problem here as posted by OP

has anyone found a solution to this.

I've lost the connection to a very important piping model.

This has happened before and the only thing i could do was recreate the model from scratch.

have people had luck with oldered backup copies of model files or is it a database problem?

Autodesk? HELLO!!! anything???

Message 12 of 26
jabowabo
in reply to: mfanning

@mfanning wrote:

have people had luck with oldered backup copies of model files or is it a database problem?

Autodesk? HELLO!!! anything???

I restore from backups fairly regularly. I rarely have any issues with this.

Message 13 of 26
mfanning

That's good to know.

Unfortunately I do not have a backup of this particular file.

moral of the story is backup backup backup and then make backups of the backups.

looks like I will be redoing a few days of work here.

I can only kick myself, but just wish the copy to project worked on files affected by this random occurrence

Message 14 of 26
w.liebert

Hello there,

still no solutions, other than doing backups, to this?

I´ve encountered this problem in P3D 2019 as well. All Updates are installed and all Paths are set to the right directory.

P3D wants to copy the drawing into the project but after hitting "Yes", it shows the message, that the File could not be added to the Project.

Greetings,

Willi

Message 15 of 26

try renaming the file and then add it. then audit audit is project
Message 16 of 26

Unfortunately this doesn´t work.

It seems like the File is kind of damaged...but i don´t know why and how this happend.

Message 17 of 26
whitduncan

Hello, 

I recently had a the same EXACT problem. Has autocad come up with a solution to this? 

Thanks

Message 18 of 26

Move the file to another directory, desktop, whatever, then Copy to Project again. It can't copy onto itself if its already in the Plant3D project folder.

Message 19 of 26
w.liebert
in reply to: whitduncan

In my case, i had to do all the work a second time.

It seams like Autodesk does not provide a solid solution for this issue.

Even copying, renaming and loading into another project did not help. The file was somehow damaged in a way i could not figure out.

My way to handle this, is to split the Drawings into even smaller parts and add them as XRef´s (If one of this DWG´s is damaged it can be recreated faster). Basically this is the way how AutoCad works and how you are supposed to manage large Drawings.

It just feels like i am working back in the 90´s with all the performance-issues Plant3D has. In Inventor we can handle models 5 times the size of the Plant3D models but Inventor has not the functions we need to work out Plant-Designs effectively.

My long-term solution will be to change the CAD-System to a more steady one, if there will be no steps to make AutoCad sustainable. 

I like to work with the Autodesk Products but some things are just too complicated to handle and the worst part in my opinion are the Performance issues.

Greetings

Message 20 of 26

With any training or project setup I always insist with customers that they break up models into smaller chunks, even if it’s one person on a project. One model each for piping, equipment, structure, MEP, civil, etc. Never put all disciplines into one model. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost