AutoCAD Plant 3D General DIscussion

Contributor
flemster911
Message 1 of 4 (334 Views)

AutoCAD Structural Design???

334 Views, 3 Replies
03-16-2012 05:49 AM

Hello World,

Foremost, I'm a Plant 3D man. But I see a strong market for a program that would 'marry' the usability of Plant 3D with the technical prowess of AutCAD Structural Detailing (ASD) into a program that would put out simple, "single line' structural design drawings - AutoCAD Structural Design. Alternatively, they could either 'dumb down' ASD or 'smarten up' Plant 3D's structural module. We use ASD for our shop fabs, but what we also need is software that will give us simple, structural design drawings with connection (not fabrication) details.I believe this would bridge the gap between Plant 3D and ASD. I think Revit can do something like this, but I'm not sure (I don't use Revit). The Plant 3D structural module 'almost' does what we want with it's Line Model mode, but not quite...

Your thoughts, World...

Contributor
jpeters
Message 2 of 4 (325 Views)

Re: AutoCAD Structural Design???

03-16-2012 08:57 AM in reply to: flemster911

I'm fairly new to P3D but I would like to see a better, more efficient inter-connection between Revit and P3D.  We do most of our structural work in Revit.  Exporting the Revit Model to DWG and Xref'ing works but it's not great visually and it's certainly not what I would call efficient.  Even in Navisworks I have to export a NWC file first.  A "live" connection in Navisworks (like with DWG files) would be very useful.  This would be even more useful in P3D itself but that's probably pushing it right:smileyhappy:

Valued Mentor
ybogdanov
Message 3 of 4 (310 Views)

03-16-2012 03:06 PM in reply to: flemster911

One of the correct workflow for doing detailing structure is: REVIT -> ASD -> Plant3D

The step from REVIT to ASD is doing using the subsription plug-in which send the model directly to ASD. It's posible to send for calculation to Robot too. After insert details, is necessary to insert the dwg ASD model to Plant3D project.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yury Bogdanov
ASIDEK(Grupo CT) - Partner Directo de Autodesk
Barcelona (Spain)
*Expert Elite*
dave.wolfe
Message 4 of 4 (304 Views)

03-16-2012 04:48 PM in reply to: flemster911

Here's a link of a video showing an Revit to ASD workflow.  It's pretty smooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R0ithtV8eM

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

ECAD, Inc.
Tips and Tricks on our blog: Process Design, from the Outside

A P3D Authorized Reseller
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Plant 3D Category!

The AutoCAD Plant 3D forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.