AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Plant 3D - Structure - Add New Items

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
CaveManCode
7189 Views, 12 Replies

AutoCAD Plant 3D - Structure - Add New Items

Good Day All

Does anyone have a tutorial on how one adds different shape standards to AutoCADPlant 3D structural.

We want to add our Native SANS steel sections to AutoCAD Plant 3D?

Any advice, tuturial reference, assistance welcome

Thanks in advamce

Regards

Richard

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JarrodMudford
in reply to: CaveManCode

There is available Content Packs on Plant Exchange you can download. But at the moment there is now way to publish your own Structural Members. From Plant Exchange you can request a Content Pack and it will be placed in a list to be created by Autodesk.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Jarrod Mudford
Plant Solutions Consultant
Global Services
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 13
CaveManCode
in reply to: JarrodMudford

Thanks for the information

Unfortunatly did not find any content packs for SANS steel sections.

I see you work for Autodesk, here is a requsest . . .

Can you send me the Table, File and Data Hierarchical Structure so that i can create a .Net User Interface to add data?

Did you hear that Mercedes Benz now sells cars without steering wheels? They tried to use AutoDesk Software but could not add the specifications in to design the Steering Wheel!!

Appreciate your reply

Best Regards

Richard

Message 4 of 13
clifford

Hi Richard,

Was wondering if you came right with the SA steel content.  i'm in the same boat.

Message 5 of 13
CaveManCode

Hi Clifford

Sadly Not, We used ASD (AutoCAD Structural Detailing) instead.

I did hear that Modena compiled the steel sections for SANS in Plant 3D "say this under correction" as i have never checked this, but as i understood this was for retail from them?

On the download center i only came accross someone that had edited the Australian Steel sections released 2010, i did email the person but to no avail, did not recieve a reply with the method in which it could be done?

Best of luck to come right with this.

Regards

Richard

Message 6 of 13
clifford

Description: Visit our website
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the response. I'm new to the Plant Design Suite, and I must say
the lack of SA content is frustrating.

Where did you get your SA content for ASD?

Kind regards

Clifford McClure

TDF Projects and Equipment

P.O. Box 20758

Durban North

KZN, 4016

South Africa

Tel + 27 31 9103527

Tel/Fax + 27 31 5727652

Fax 0865399982

Cell + 27 83 3090623

E-mail clifford@tdfprojects.com

Message 7 of 13
CaveManCode
in reply to: clifford

Hi There

To find the SANS sections in ASD please review Image

ASD_ZA.png

Once this is loaded you can select the various steel section required.

The negatives using ASD is that the geometry is NOT 3D solids, The ASD model has to be exported as a .SAT to be able to get used in the Orthographic DWG in plant 3D. Review image below as well . . .

SAT_Ex.png

ASD has got a utility to export to ACIS, but we found that this would also export non solid objects. with these entities in the model in Plant 3D, this caused the Orthographic to crash? This was not consistent however . . .

The better alternative was to use the File > Export > Other Formats > SAT (This only exports true 3D solid objects.)

As you can see there is a little work around for this . . . but ASD work fast and effctive for generating Steel Structures for plant design.

If someone reads this and has better solutions - please post comments.

Cheers Mate

Regards

Richard

Message 8 of 13
janp

Message 9 of 13
janp

Whoops pressed post by accident. I just want to find out if you guys have been able to get South African standard steel sections into Plant 3D yet, and if not, whether you'd be interested to know how?
Message 10 of 13

Hi RSA,

Modena as a Gold Partner to Autodesk has a SANS Steel Library for customers who purchase Plant Design Suite.

To service those customers outside of a direct purchase we offer the same libraries for subscriptions or direct purchase.

Please contact a sales representative or support @ modena.co.za for more details.

Modena P3D Steel 2012-2015.png

Message 11 of 13

Hi Gareth 

is this SANS library still available? i called Modena today and they dont seem to know what im talking about.

Message 12 of 13
m.dupreez_epc

Dear Autodesk, 

I have been using Plant 3D since 2012 and cannot understand why 10 years later there is not a more comprehensive steel library for Plant 3D!? Why should we the end users pay for such content when competitors include it free of charge? At the very least enable users to create these libraries for themselves!

It still boggles the mind... 

Message 13 of 13

Hi m.dupreez,
I am new in Plant3D. I started my job in September '22. I worked nearly 9 years for administration for
CADISON (www.cadison.com). Before that I worked for Plant and Project Engineering.
Yesterday I added Steel Member (new size) and also Material. The answer / solution comes more or less from here:

How to add a custom shape size for a structural member in AutoCAD Plant 3D | AutoCAD Plant 3D 2021 |...

I am really sure, that's also possible to add a new basic shape that is not available right now.
It could be with seperate PYTHON / XML script !?

Udo Hoffmann

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost