AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a Column in the Catalog Browser so I can Filter out Parts

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
eadkins73
1813 Views, 17 Replies

Adding a Column in the Catalog Browser so I can Filter out Parts

I would like to add a column into the Catalog Browser of the Catalog Editor.  This column would allow me to be able to Filter by the "Compatible Standard" parameter or by other user created parameters.  How do I add a column?

Please see attached for reference.

Thanks!

Ed Adkins
EA2 Engineering
www.ea2eng.com
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
eadkins73
in reply to: eadkins73

Anyone?

Ed Adkins
EA2 Engineering
www.ea2eng.com
Message 3 of 18
tarrynd

Hi There

I am looking to do the exact same thing but using custom feilds that I have created in my Catalog.

Have you figured this out or does anyone else have an idea on how to do this. Or a question to Autodesk, can this be done?

Kind regards,

Tarryn

Message 4 of 18
eadkins73

I'm trying to filter my custom fields too.  I have not yet found a way.  It's definietly something Autodesk should look at.  Especially when you are trying to filter parts by Manufacturer, or mfg part number, or compatible standard.  No one has been able to help yet.  If I find a way I will share.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed Adkins
EA2 Engineering
www.ea2eng.com
Message 5 of 18
eadkins73

On a side note, it would also be nice to add parameters to individual parts of the part "family". e.g. part number.  Just Saying Autodesk.

Ed Adkins
EA2 Engineering
www.ea2eng.com
Message 6 of 18
tarrynd

Hi Ed

Not sure if you have tried this, but what I do in a case like that is I open the spec, then in the list of components I double click on the component I would like to add a custom field for, then I select the Edit Properties column and add the property in there. It becomes category specific so if i add this column to a pipe, all other pipes in the spec will now have that column. You are able to fill in different values for each size. the downfall is that you have to do it in the Spec and as far as I know it cannot be done in the catalog.

I have attached 2 screen shots.

Regards,

Tarryn

Message 7 of 18
jorge.garza
in reply to: tarrynd

Does anyone have any information when this will be avaliable? We add new fields to the catalogs in order to build the long description (Family) to represent a true definition. Example BV would be BW, and THDF & THDM would be THRD. I was able to add a new Piping Component Property, but the new property will not show up when i try to build my LDT for the components.

Also you cannot not add multiple descriptions for a component. For SW or THRD i would have rating included in the description, but for BW i would use Schedule. It will not give you options to assign it depending on the senerio.

See screen shoots.

Message 8 of 18
mismasb
in reply to: jorge.garza

Yeah that is my problem too. Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 18
doug.webb
in reply to: mismasb

For the record, I am seeking this solution as well.

Autodesk, in case your watching, please throw us a bone.... I am digging, and not finding anything.  Have spent a great deal of time on specs so far, and would like to do this as efficiently as possible.  If it is not possible at this time, please just let us know.

Are there any programmers out there that have figured out the back end to the Catalog Browser display configuration?...

Message 10 of 18
m.tusup

Heloo,

I have a similar problem, I should add a column into the Catalog Browser so I have a column in the part spec. I need to have bilingual specification in Izometric English/Russian so I need one more column where I going to writing manually all translations or anything else that I need. That should be seen later in Izometric, specifications or eny other repor etc. I apologize to my English,I hope I managed to explain.

Message 11 of 18

i have also same issue. i ussed so far the add function in the spec to make my addional language in polish, german, slovenian, english.

i tryed to play with the sqlite database of the catalog but it was to risky for me to do something there. 😕

i hope someone thing a good solution for this.

Message 12 of 18
r.imhof
in reply to: Hermann.Semlitsch

Same problem.

And i have previously described the problem in detail here:

Custom properties Spec Editor

Message 13 of 18
teds

I know it's been over a year since you posted this and you probably figured it out but this is simple to do.

First if you create a custom parameter and you want it to show up in the model you must create the same custom parameter at the spec level and then in the Project Setup--> Plant 3D Class Definitions --> Piping and Equipment. It's important to note that all three parameters must be named exactly the same... same spaces, same case, etc.

After you create those parameters then in your catalog editor and export the catalog to excel, make sure you select "Full Catalog Data export". Open the created excel file (you must "unprotect" the spreadsheet when you open it, do your sorts, etc to get the items in the order you want, find the column of your custom parameter and input the data.

Once completed, save the spreadsheet and (from within the catalog editor) import the spreadsheet. A box will pop up with the changed items highlighted in yellow. Select the "Accept all changes" icon, save the catalog.

It is best to do this before you add the component to the spec because when you do a "Check for Updates from Catalog" it will not read the custom parameter as an updateable item (which is odd because from within the Project Setup window you can select custom parameters for the PlantSpecUpdate command. The nice thing is though that once you do it, you don't have to do it again. Well, until the new version comes out and migrating the catalogs from the previous version to the newer version doesn't work like when we tried to do that from P3D 2012 to P3D 2014.
Message 14 of 18

Bumping this, has there been any solution from Autodesk on how to add filters to the catalog browser.

Message 15 of 18

Yeah I'm very surprised I cant simply add any component property field to the catalog browser. Actually, I'm not surprised at all.

Message 16 of 18
Fahad_YK

Dear @h_eger @Michiel.Valcke @jflorita 
Do You have any solution for this case? Same as @daniel.escamillaBRIS & @LiamMc-X , I've added some properties to my catalog and want to use those properties to filter my catalog.

Fahad_YK_0-1695283051367.png

Message 17 of 18
h_eger

Dear @Fahad_YK ,

this is not possible. The lists are hard-coded and made available for viewing.

-

If my reply was helpful, please give a "Kudo" or click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or both).

Hartmut Eger
Senior Engineer
Anlagenplanung + Elektotechnik
XING | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 18 of 18
Michiel.Valcke

in the middle right of your catalog editor there is a little button that will let you choose between showing all part sizes or only one row per family. That will give you a few extra columns to choose from and filter. But other than that it is hard-coded as far as I know, just as @h_eger said.

MichielValcke_0-1695323705432.png

As always if you want it changed, add it as an idea and post the link to your idea in this thread so that people with the same issue can go and vote for it. Maybe that will entice Autodesk to add it to a future release.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost