AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACAD P&ID acquisition rules for layers

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
fabianbn
529 Views, 3 Replies

ACAD P&ID acquisition rules for layers

Hi everyone,

I'm working with AutoCAD P&ID and I want to customize the layering settings for my P&ID drawings. I need that every service has it's own layer, so that way I can see (say) the whole Cooling water system in the P&ID.

I could do this as I normally do it in AutoCAD, picking each line and selecting the layer I want from the layer pulldown menu, but since AutoCAD P&ID automatically collors and layers the slines I draw, I want to know if there is a way to customize this automatic layering, i.e. that the layer (and/or color) of a PipeLineSegment is automatically set up according to any property of the PipeLineSegment (like service, or spec).

I know this can be done with P3D, but I need it in P&ID.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Fabián Becerra

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dave.wolfe
in reply to: fabianbn

P&ID layers are stored in the projsymbolstyle.dwg in the project folder.  You have to modify the layer used in the symbol settings under the P&ID Class definitions.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 3 of 4
fabianbn
in reply to: dave.wolfe

Well yes, I can see that, but that way I cannot automatically have multiple layers for the same line type.

P&ID has defined some line types, for example Primary process style, or Secondary process style, or Insulated style, and if I do what you suggest I will have all my Primary lines in the same layer, but I don't want this. I have multiple chemicals (for example acid and anhidrid) that are both Primary (they are not utilities), so I have multiple services (for example AC and ANH) and I want to have them in two separate layers, not in the same Process layer (as for default).

I hope I've been clear... 😕

Thanks

Message 4 of 4
dave.wolfe
in reply to: fabianbn

There is no way to have the layer change on the fly. However, I know several clients who just made specific class for the service. So under primary, you could add a class call AC and have it go on one layer, and another class called ANH and have it go on another layer.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost