AutoCAD P&ID General

Contributor
dwayne.johnson
Message 1 of 6 (405 Views)

external database editor

405 Views, 5 Replies
07-31-2013 07:00 AM

how about autocad doesnt open every drawing when importing changes. example

adding model numbers to all 75 evaporators in a project, import great. now autocad must open 75 drawings at one time, which crashes most computers on earth. 

external database editor without opening every drawing !!!!!!!:catmad:

*Expert Elite*
dave.wolfe
Message 2 of 6 (390 Views)

Re: external database editor

07-31-2013 07:15 PM in reply to: dwayne.johnson
Any reason exporting to Excel through the Data Manager and making the changes and importing wouldn't work?
Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

ECAD, Inc.
Tips and Tricks on our blog: Process Design, from the Outside

A P3D Authorized Reseller
Contributor
dwayne.johnson
Message 3 of 6 (379 Views)

08-01-2013 06:56 AM in reply to: dave.wolfe

thats what we do now. 

extract to excel

update excel file

import excel

changes show up in yellow 

when i accept all chnages>>>>>>boom it opens every drawing.....thats when it crashes ( opening all the drawings)

i guess i could manualy accept each chnage limiting the opening of all 100+ drawings.

*Expert Elite*
dave.wolfe
Message 4 of 6 (368 Views)

08-01-2013 10:00 AM in reply to: dwayne.johnson

Though not recommended, you can use an editor like SQLite Expert personal (close P&ID first).

http://www.sqliteexpert.com/download.html

Clear the Data cache first.

The local data cache stores some spec and catalog information as well as information for connecting to projects. Clearing it will force plant 3d to refresh the stored project settings:
http://www.pdoteam.com/2012/03/plant-3d-startup-hanging/

Then make your edits to the processpower.dcf in the project folder. The database table follow the structure of the class tree, so columns available under equipment are in the equipment table, etc.

Then, open up AutoCAD PnID, go to project manager and use Resave All Drawings.  That should take care of opening/updating all the drawings individually.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

ECAD, Inc.
Tips and Tricks on our blog: Process Design, from the Outside

A P3D Authorized Reseller
Active Contributor
eiloneng
Message 5 of 6 (330 Views)

08-10-2013 02:03 AM in reply to: dwayne.johnson

I ran accross the same problem and solved it by, after inportin the excel file and getting the yellow boxes, updating one P&ID at at time (by filtering in the data manager). so, only one drawing is opened and at the end the update runs faster.

Jacob Eilon

Mentor
craig.wood
Message 6 of 6 (288 Views)

08-19-2013 12:01 PM in reply to: eiloneng

One other thing you can do when exporting/editing/importing from P&ID is to filter your data manager results into smaller chunks to make it more manageable [before exporting]. For instance, an example of this is when I needed to update some 150 P&IDs with drawing numbers such as X-100 to X-900. I did a filter under drawing number to do them in a series (ie: LIKE'X-1%', for all 100-series drawings, then LIKE'X-2%', for all 200-series drawings, and so on.) This means you'll have to do 9 separate exports/edits/imports, but at least it's completely automated beyond that and won't crash like it would had you not broken them up.

Hope this helps!

Craig

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community