AutoCAD P&ID General

Active Contributor
tgwestbrook
Message 1 of 9 (6,286 Views)

Updating block definitions in a drawing

6286 Views, 8 Replies
07-18-2012 10:16 AM

I am having some difficulty updating the geometry of various equipment, annotation, and instument blocks.

We have generated several P&IDs in the current project.  After they were drawn I edited the geometry of many of the blocks to more closely match the P&ID standards.  In most of the existing drawings (but not all) the block definitions failed to update to the edit. 

If I start a new drawing, the updated block definitions are used, but If I copy the incorrect items to a new drawing, the old defnitions are still used.

In the exisitng drawings if I place an instrument symbol or other item that already exists on that drawing, the block defnition matched the one that is already there, and does not update to the new definition.  If I switch to an instrument type that had not been placed on the drawing yet, it will come in with the correct block definition.  

Strangely, If I load Project Setup and then exit I can see the block update to the corrected definition for a split second and then revert to the original definition.

So my question is this:  How do force all of the Valve, Instrument, and annotation P&ID objects in a drawing to match the current definition in Projsymstyle?

Product Support
quentin.contreras
Message 2 of 9 (6,273 Views)

Re: Updating block definitions in a drawing

07-19-2012 02:54 PM in reply to: tgwestbrook

Did you go into the projSymbolStyle.dwg for the project and change the blocks in there?

For Example: I want the change the appearance of the Gate Valve.

1. I would open the projSymbolStyle.dwg for the project I was working in.
  2. I would then enter BEDIT to open the block editor
  3. I would search for the block I am editing, in this case the gate valve is “PIP GATE VALVE”
  4. Once you select it you should be in the block editor to make the changes you want. Just for example I used fillet to round the edges of the valve and changed the color to Cyan and then closed the block editor
  5. I saved the projSymbolStyle.dwg I am in and closed it.
  6. If I get back into one of the drawings that had the Gate Valve it has updated it per the changes I made.

Just curious if you followed these steps? 

Most important thing is to generate a template drawing first with your standards you will be working with. Work out your problems before you start a real project. This will save you running into problems down the road!

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Quentin Contreras
Mentor
craig.wood
Message 3 of 9 (6,271 Views)

07-19-2012 03:06 PM in reply to: tgwestbrook

Type in "snychstyles" and hit enter.

You can set the registry value on each user's machine to automatically run this command upon opening a drawing by typing in "syncstylesmode". Look it up in the help menu for more details, but if you set the value to "1", it will execute upon opening a drawing.

Craig

Product Support
quentin.contreras
Message 4 of 9 (6,266 Views)

07-19-2012 03:21 PM in reply to: craig.wood

Yes, good suggestion craig.wood!

Also, might be a good ideal to check and see what your SYNCSTYLESMODE is set to as well. I would recomend setting it at 63.

Here is a link to the webpage with information to that:

http://docs.autodesk.com/PNID/2013/ENU/index.html?query=synchstylesmode

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Quentin Contreras
Mentor
craig.wood
Message 5 of 9 (6,264 Views)

07-19-2012 03:37 PM in reply to: quentin.contreras

If you are using Plant 3D only for P&ID and aren't doing any 3D whatsoever, set the value to "1".

Otherwise, if you are using both P&ID and 3D (Orthos and ISOs) then set it to "63".

Active Contributor
tgwestbrook
Message 6 of 9 (6,248 Views)

07-20-2012 06:55 AM in reply to: craig.wood

I have SYNCHSTYLESMODEset to 42,  and I tried setting it at both 1 and 63 and have had no change in the behaviour.

As long as it is set to sync on exit from project setup the incorrect symbols with update for a fraction of a second and then revert back to the original geometry.

Product Support
quentin.contreras
Message 7 of 9 (6,241 Views)

07-20-2012 10:20 AM in reply to: tgwestbrook

tgwestbrook - Still curious if you followed the setups of changing your symbols the way I mentioned above? I went into an old project without the changes I made to my new project's gate valve. I copied clipped a gate valve, then came into my new project, pasted it in and it updated the valve to reflect the change I made. So, it still seems to be related to what valves, instrument and annotation blocks you editied. There are many and you have to be careful to select the right ones in the projSymbolStyle.dwg

Quentin Contreras
Valued Contributor
Heckmeck
Message 8 of 9 (6,077 Views)

10-04-2012 07:03 AM in reply to: tgwestbrook

I ran into the same problem....

Unfortunately none of the tips above solved the problem....

My existing annotations just stay the way they are. If I place a new one, it owns the changes i made before.

I don't have a problem with editing blocks of valves etc..... it only happens with annotations.

Has anyone a solution for this?

Valued Contributor
Heckmeck
Message 9 of 9 (6,029 Views)

10-11-2012 07:54 AM in reply to: Heckmeck

Update: When I change the block definition of a symbol, it works for me.

For annotations (which are just blocks too) it only works if I have placed them recently. In older projects it won't work.

Now I tried to change the scale factor of some of my symbols (without touching the block itself).

But none of my already placed blocks recognizes the update.

When I place a new block, everything works fine, but old blocks won't update. This is a huge bug!

Is there anyone who knows a workaround?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community