AutoCAD P&ID General

friday
Message 1 of 3 (550 Views)
Accepted Solution

The Format Expression String-255 Character Limitation

550 Views, 2 Replies
01-18-2011 04:08 PM

Hello All,

I set 11 subparts in my Tag Format Setup dialog box for my Piping Code. I got this error message: "The format expression string cannot be longer than 255 characters. Please remove some subparts and try again"  when I pressed ok button after completing subpart 9. Does anyone have a solution for this error? Please help.

Luyen.

Employee
sankarg
Message 2 of 3 (499 Views)

Re: The Format Expression String-255 Character Limitation

01-25-2011 06:09 PM in reply to: friday

Hi Luyen,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

Unfortunately currently the maximum string length for the format string is set to 255 in the code.

We will address this issue.

Thanks,

Sankar Ganesh
Sr. Principal Engineer
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc
Contributor
asalcido
Message 3 of 3 (189 Views)

Re: The Format Expression String-255 Character Limitation

01-09-2014 05:53 PM in reply to: friday

Luyen,

I have figured out that its not so much the number of subparts but the property description of the property name.  I came across this same issue.  I was about to remove a property field, Insulation Thickness, with a property description of Insulation Thickness.  I felt that it could be abbreviated (InsulThickness).  In doing so, one would also have to make modifications to any reports and tag annotations.

I added a new property field (InsulThickness), abbreviated, but the property description was the same as the original Insulation Thickness.  When I went to Tag Format Setup, I noticed I had 2 entries with the same name.

Right away, I figured out that the tag format setups are looking at the property descriptions, not the property names.  I selected my original Insulation Thickness property name and changed the property description to InsulThickness.

The result was perfect!  I went to the reports and some of the annotations using this property and they all changed automatically.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community