AutoCAD P&ID General

jjmilburn
Message 1 of 2 (270 Views)

Signal Line Acquisition of "Engineering Items" Tag

270 Views, 1 Replies
04-03-2013 01:55 PM

Hello,

First off, I've found this post (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-P-ID/Tag-Acquisition/td-p/3223978) very useful, but I am interested in something slightly different.

I would like to have my signal lines automatically acquire the "Tag" value of any "Engineering Items" to which they are connected.  Specifically, I want signal lines to acquire "Tag" from "Equipment" or "Inline Assets\Hand Valves".  I do not want to make two different instances of a signal line, one that acquires Tag from Equipment, and one that acquires it from Hand Valves.  In short, I would to define a custom property on Signal Lines which automatically :
  -Pulls the "Tag" attribute from whatever Engineering Item it is connected to, and if it is ambiguous or not present, leave it as "?".

This functionality would be equivalent to what already happens when you drop a 3-way valve on piping -- essentially, many-to-one acquisition which will just 'not acquire' if it is ambiguous.  How do I achieve this? 

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Mentor
craig.wood
Message 2 of 2 (240 Views)

Re: Signal Line Acquisition of "Engineering Items" Tag

04-04-2013 02:31 PM in reply to: jjmilburn

Hi Josh,

I've played around extensively with acquisition rules in P&ID 2013 and know only of a limited way for you to achieve what you are looking for. This will not require you to make or use two different signal lines, you can still use the regular signal line, but the equipment tag  and hand valves tag will appear in their two respective Tag acquisition properties since you can only point to one class property per acquisition rule. Essentially you would have to create a specific property in the Singal Lines class for each class that contains its own "Tag" property. If "Tag" was defined within "Engineering Items", you would only have to create one acquisition property, but since you are specifically wanting both the Equipment and Hand Valves tags, you will have to create an acquisition property for 'Equipment - Tag', and also one for 'Hand Valves - Tag' since they are split up. To me, this is ok from a reporting standpoint since you can always create a calculated field within Report Creator that allows you to manipulate/drop/add a tag that you want or don't want. You also have the luxury of displaying both tags in serarate columns if you so desire. If you are passing the info through the signal line to another object via an acquisition chain, you'll just have to add these two acquisition properties at each 'link' class within the chain.

What are you ultimately trying to achieve, by the way? Just acquiring both tags into an object that is linked to both a valve and a piece of equipment? Once you have it, what do you want to do with that data?

I hope this helps point you in the right direction!

Craig

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community