AutoCAD P&ID General

Contributor
Exfacto3
Message 1 of 5 (712 Views)
Accepted Solution

Renumbering Drawings in P&ID

712 Views, 4 Replies
06-07-2012 06:43 AM
Our process engineers have decided to rename a bunch of our P&ID drawings. I was wondering if there was a solid proven workflow to do this. I completed the following work flow on a sample project for testing purposes:

Removed the drawings from the project
Renamed them in windows explorer
Added them to the project with the new numbers (had to rename the DWG Title / DWG Number in the drawing properties)
Re-connected the OPC's (tried this but the OPC's would not populate properly therefor I blew them all away and had to add new OPC's with descriptions, to's, from's...etc.)

Is this the most efficient way to do this?
Am I going to somehow corrupt the database?
I was hoping that someone had faced this task in the past.

Thanks,

Exfacto.
Product Support
quentin.contreras
Message 2 of 5 (697 Views)

Re: Renumbering Drawings in P&ID

06-08-2012 12:55 PM in reply to: Exfacto3

It seems like you have followed the corrected steps. Here are the steps I would suggest as well.

1) Open AutoCAD P&ID and open your project.

2) Select the drawings located in your P&ID folder, and Remove them.

3) Audit the project. (This will clear the database and when you copy the new drawings to the project it will populate with new drawing names.)

4) Exit AutoCAD P&ID

5) Rename the drawings in windows explorer.

5) Reopen AutoCAD P&ID.

6) Reopen your Project.

7) Right click on your P&ID Drawings folder and select Copy Drawings to Project (find the drawings you renamed) and add to P&ID Drawings folder.

This is pretty much what you did it seems. You are correct in that the Page Connectors will not connect. This is because of the change in drawing names. So, Page Connectors will have to be reconnected.

You should be fine doing it this way without having database issues. However, you could always just setup a clean new project then copy the drawings to the new project. That would ensure the database is clean.

Also, make sure you backup your project prior to doing this, just in case you need to revert to the original project.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Quentin Contreras
doug.webb
Message 3 of 5 (357 Views)

09-25-2013 06:29 AM in reply to: Exfacto3
Couldn't you just right click on the drawing within the Project Manager, and choose "Rename Drawing...." I have used this a few times, and it seems to work fine. Achieves the same end result in fewer steps, unless I am missing something?....
Mentor
craig.wood
Message 4 of 5 (291 Views)

10-03-2013 10:00 AM in reply to: doug.webb

Hey Doug,

Unfortunately it's not that easy. The problem with that method is that the content in the drawings doesn't always update correctly. I experienced this when trying to swap 3 different drawing numbers; it created all kinds of tagging, and data issues. The method Quentin prescribes is definitely the procedure you'll want to use since it ensures data integrity of all of the drawing content.

I hope this helps!

Craig

doug.webb
Message 5 of 5 (279 Views)

10-04-2013 06:26 AM in reply to: craig.wood
Thanks for the heads up Craig, I will definitely keep this in mind when we have need to do this again.

Regards,
Doug

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community