AutoCAD P&ID General

Contributor
AarTomas
Message 1 of 4 (718 Views)
Accepted Solution

Random Line break problem

718 Views, 3 Replies
06-14-2013 01:32 PM

Hello! We are deep in a project and this is the maiden voyage of our new "template" method with P3d. Essentially we made a template file that is generic enough so we can copy it and modify it for particular projects. However, we have been having lots of trouble with strange errors.

The most recent one being that the P&ID lines in the drawings in a particular area of our plant have been randomly breaking and losing connectivity. I've been told that the problem occurred when our draftsman first "Refreshed" the drawing he was working on.
refresh.png

Since then, 2 drawings in this area has had the majority of their lines broken up and their properties hidden. I ran an "AUDIT" command to fix the properties problem but there still is the problem shown in "Line-split-1".

Our draftsman (whom I have no knowledge of his work procedure) has told me that he tried replacing all these lines 3 times, and every single time they broke up.

To show off the strange-ness, take a look at "Line-split-2" to see that the old lines cannot take any new valves and when they are dragged off the line, they cut the line.

SO, I'm mainly wondering if there is somehow an easy fix for this, if not, then what can we do to fix it so it doesn't do it again. Is the drawing file corrupted? Is the whole project corrupted? I'm wondering what's the best way to backtrack.

Thanks for any responses!

P.S. As of this morning a 3rd drawing has been "infected" with this same problem. I have no clue.

P.P.S. This is on Autocad P3D 2013 by-the-way

Mentor
craig.wood
Message 2 of 4 (697 Views)

Re: Random Line break problem

06-17-2013 07:39 AM in reply to: AarTomas

AarTomas,

From my experience, this problem is due to two possible causes:

1. Check the symbol settings by selecting the class of the item that has the line broken on either side of it to ensure that the "Join Type" is set to "inline" instead of "Endline", "no-join", or "Segment Breaker". See the attached "Symbol Settings" picture for clarity on this.

2. A misunderstanding by the end-user of how to draw lines in a data-centric P&ID program. If your draftsmen don't understand proper line-routing workflow in data-centric lines, he/she may be tempted to draw it as if it were in vanilla AutoCAD, which will create all kinds of problems in P&ID with your line list. They must understand that a line has to be drawn from origin point to termination point all in one continuous segment. If they drew a line to a component, then drew a line from the component, then they are not using a proper line-routing workflow and you will get the very results you have been achieving. It may be a good idea to talk over with them about continuous header lines and branch lines, and the workflow of placing equipment, drawing your headers, branches, then coming back and adding inline piping components, and stressing the concepts of how the data flows from one thing to another and why.

I hope this helps!

Craig

If my post is a solution to your problem, please click the "Accept as Solution" button below...

Contributor
AarTomas
Message 3 of 4 (681 Views)

06-17-2013 08:54 AM in reply to: craig.wood
Thanks for the response! I checked option 1 and it was set correctly.

I do recall seeing him use vanilla AutoCAD when he first started making our P&ID's.

So it seems someone is going to have to talk to our draftsman...

Thanks!
Mentor
craig.wood
Message 4 of 4 (677 Views)

06-17-2013 09:21 AM in reply to: AarTomas

Glad to help!

Yeah, unless the end-users are familiar with data-centric P&IDs, it's easy for them to make line-routing mistakes. It just means more upfront training time to explain the data behind the scenes.

Craig

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community