AutoCAD P&ID General

Valued Contributor
bestm
Message 1 of 9 (214 Views)

Migration is a failure.

214 Views, 8 Replies
05-30-2008 12:02 PM
I have waited patiently for my shiny new 2009 P&ID software to come in so I can use it and show it off to the rest of the office. But this is so far not to be.

We run a mixture of 32bit and 64bit machines in our office, since '08 was not compatible with 64bit we experimented with it in Virtual Machine a little. Moving on......we now have our 32bit and 64bit dvds and are ready to convert existing jobs to the shiny new software but have yet to be able to open one drawing with seeing the desktop shortly after.

First of all, yes I migrated a copy of an existing job to another directory. I first did the migration in 32bit '08 in Virtual Machine (VM). This went off without a hitch. I then tried to open the file set with my new and improved '09 software in VM so I can migrate those files to the new latest and greatest version.

Migration went through all the xml files easily, then it opened and migrated the dwg files easily as well. I guess the green check mark meant it was good?

But at the end of the migration the Lemming let me know that there was a small problem and with the click of the close button I was looking at my VM desktop.

Reviewing the Migration log file everything was a success. Unfortunately, "power existing" was not listed as a success nor failure.

Thinking it was a fluke I went ahead and opened '09 again in the VM world, Through the Project Manager I selected the new migrated xml Project file and low an behold was my file list of freshly successfully migrated files.

Hand shaking on the mouse as I slowly select a file to open from the list. So far no sign of Elvis. I right click over the selected file and pick "Open". The screen comes to life with the migrated file; I can see the line runs, instrument tags, oh look, theres a tank and a filter.

The drawing loads successfully to this point then '09 automatically regenerates the drawing. After 3 seconds (I had to time it because it felt like minutes) AutoCAD locks ups and the friendly messages comes up and tells me the program has encountered a problem. I have 3 choices, 1. shut down and go home, 2. select "Debug". 3. select "Close".

Really needed help right now, I select "Debug". Debug really is a nice tool because it must have repaired the problem, finished my corrections and changes without my input then closed AutoCAD P&ID '09 for me so I can go home. AWESOME!!

Being a little skeptical I restart '09 again just to check the Debugs handy work and take credit for it. So feeling more confident I open the same dwg again feeling a little giddy about reviewing an automatically corrected drawing based off mental telepathy.

The file opens fine up until the command line message says "regenerating drawing". Then again it freezes up for 3 seconds and I'm looking at the desktop.

Now I still have 3 choices and none of them include showing off the new software that doesn't work. 1. go home and start drinking for the weekend and search Monster and CareerBuilder since I was the big mouth who wanted to upgrade. 2. Work in VM on '08. 3. Go back to using my seemingly more stable '07 version with half the anticipated tools and be happy about it.

Processes used in this experiment:
-Currently running '07 P&ID on a 64bit XP Pro machine
-VM loaded on 64bit machine and running 32bit XP Pro OS
-'08 P&ID loaded on VM
-'09 P&ID (32bit) loaded on VM
-'09 P&ID (64bit) loaded on a 64bit XP Pro machine

Equipment used:
Dell Precision 670 pc, Dual Xeon 3.40 cpu's
300 gig 7200 HD
4 gig dual channel ram
Quadro 4500 vid card

So, what am I missing?

Regards,
Mike
Valued Contributor
bestm
Message 2 of 9 (214 Views)

Re: Migration is a failure.

06-02-2008 10:02 AM in reply to: bestm
Just to update my non-progress:

This morning I have tried the following processes to "read and write" to the migrated files I started working with last week.

- Use the Validate tool. Results: crashed "while regenerating model"
- Use the Audit Project tool. Results: fixed 1700 errors
- Use Recover Tool. Result: Bad move, wants to remove all the line runs then crashed "while regenerating model"
- Switched Workspace to "AutoCAD Classic" Results: crashed "while regenerating model"

Having just another bad day with this......

Regards,
Mike
Board Manager
MangeshKalbhor
Message 3 of 9 (214 Views)

06-02-2008 04:33 PM in reply to: bestm
Mike,

I am looking at the issue you have. I installed AutoCAD P&ID 2008 on Virtual machine, created my project and drawings with all the assets and Slines. Installed AutoCAD P&ID 2009 and migrated the above project. The migration log gives the status of all files and I was able to open project and drawing. There were no issues after regenerating the drawings. I can also work on the migrated drawings.
I think it would be nice if we could take a look at your data to figure out what could be causing it.

Regards,
Mangesh Kalbhor (Autodesk)

Mangesh Kalbhor
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Valued Contributor
bestm
Message 4 of 9 (214 Views)

06-02-2008 08:32 PM in reply to: bestm
Mangesh,

One big difference between your test and my actual data. Project was started and is ongoing in '07 P&ID not started from scratch in '08 then migrated to '09. (copied ongoing project for testing)

I would be happy to send you the data sets (Pre-migrate '07 and post migrate '09) on the Tuesday morning. My contact info will be attached to the email as well.

I assume there is a dot(.) between your name with Autodesk.com as the address?

By the way, I sent Stephanie a data set on Thursday when the crashing began.

Regards,
Mike

Message was edited by: bestm
Board Manager
MangeshKalbhor
Message 5 of 9 (214 Views)

06-03-2008 01:59 PM in reply to: bestm
Mike,

It would be helpful to take a look at your data set.
Since you have started it in '07, it will definitely help to have the older data too.

-Mangesh Kalbhor

Mangesh Kalbhor
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

*Jorge Lopez
Message 6 of 9 (214 Views)

06-23-2008 11:02 AM in reply to: bestm
Project migration from '07 directly into '09 is not possible afaik. You have
to go '07 to '08 to '09. Let me know if that is not the case Mangesh.

Jorge

"Mangesh Kalbhor" wrote in message news:5947660@discussion.autodesk.com...
Mike,

It would be helpful to take a look at your data set.
Since you have started it in '07, it will definitely help to have the older
data too.

-Mangesh Kalbhor
kevin_j
Message 7 of 9 (214 Views)

07-30-2008 02:07 PM in reply to: bestm
i HAVE BEEN USING ACAD P&ID ABOUT TWO WEEK. i HAVE A DRAWING THAT i CREATED IN AUTOCAD 2009 THAT WILL NOT LET ME ADD IT TO THE PROJECT MANAGER. THE DRAWING SAYS THAT IT WAS CREATED IN ACAD P&ID 2007. iF FACT I DO NOT EVEN HAVE 2007 ON MY MACHINE. THIS PROGRAM SEEMS TO HAVE A LOT OF BUGS THAT NEEDS TO BE WORK OUT.
KEVIN
Valued Contributor
bestm
Message 8 of 9 (214 Views)

08-01-2008 05:02 AM in reply to: bestm
Kevin,

Can you post the drawing your having trouble with?

Regards,
Mike
*Jorge Lopez
Message 9 of 9 (214 Views)

08-04-2008 06:51 PM in reply to: bestm
Hi Kevin,

I recently encountered a drawing exhibiting this behavior. We normally store
some project "hint" information inside the DWG that includes project name,
software version, etc. This information was missing in the problem DWG so
the software thought it was created in an earlier version of the product
(the initial release) and initiates migration. The migration itself should
harmlessly execute.

This drawing was created in a project and then removed from the project and
attempts to add it back is failing? I am trying to determine the sequence of
events leading to this.

If you get an error message can you post a screen shot of it?

Thanks,

Jorge

"KEVIN_J" wrote in message news:5994667@discussion.autodesk.com...
i HAVE BEEN USING ACAD P&ID ABOUT TWO WEEK. i HAVE A DRAWING THAT i CREATED
IN AUTOCAD 2009 THAT WILL NOT LET ME ADD IT TO THE PROJECT MANAGER. THE
DRAWING SAYS THAT IT WAS CREATED IN ACAD P&ID 2007. iF FACT I DO NOT EVEN
HAVE 2007 ON MY MACHINE. THIS PROGRAM SEEMS TO HAVE A LOT OF BUGS THAT NEEDS
TO BE WORK OUT.
KEVIN

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community