AutoCAD P&ID General

Active Contributor
kchristman
Message 1 of 8 (632 Views)

Instrument Comment

632 Views, 7 Replies
06-03-2011 01:03 PM

I am using P&ID 2011 and seem to be having a problem getting the "comment" to show on the Instrument bubble.  I am placing HOA in the properties>comment dialog box, but it is not displaying in the drawing.  What am I missing?   Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Distinguished Contributor
tom_pe
Message 2 of 8 (605 Views)

Re: Instrument Comment

06-06-2011 06:49 AM in reply to: kchristman

You have entered HOA into a field in the data manager. Are you using an annotation to display the data that includes the same field?

Tom

Active Contributor
kchristman
Message 3 of 8 (595 Views)

06-06-2011 08:31 AM in reply to: kchristman

Thanks for the response Tom.  I am looking at an existing sample drawing (PIP-01-101).  It has a PIP FIELD MOUNTED – DISCRETE (ACPPDYNAMICASSET – block name) symbol that displays a comment of HOA.  I place another symbol from the tool palette (PIP FIELD MOUNTED – DISCRETE) and in the annotation; I see no place to add a comment.  If I go to properties dialog I can add HOA in the comment box, however it does not display.  Maybe my question should be, how do I add a comment to an instrument bubble?

Distinguished Contributor
tom_pe
Message 4 of 8 (587 Views)

06-06-2011 08:07 PM in reply to: kchristman

I have attached a screenshot of a DWG file. There is only one P&ID object ( a field mounted flow element ).

There is only one tag and one property sheet.

The drawing shows three different annotations. One shows the instrument bubble which supresses the area, one shows the full tag in oval format ant the third shows HOA which comes from the comment field. These are all the same item.

The point is you use annotations to display items on the property sheet, the data manager or combination text and fields.

The possibilities are endless but you need to experiment more with annotations

Tom

Active Contributor
kchristman
Message 5 of 8 (574 Views)

06-07-2011 06:05 AM in reply to: kchristman

Thanks again Tom - This is very helpful.  My mistake was thinking I could add a comment with Properties, but it appears I need to add the comment with Annotation.  Properties can then be used to change the comment.  Makes sense, now that you pointed me in the right direction.  What threw me was the way the symbol displayed (see attached).  All the annotation was in boxed format and the HOA was not.  I could not duplicate their example.  I am thinking that this was something that came over from an older version.  Adding a new annotation was the fix.

Contributor
WHTAM
Message 6 of 8 (560 Views)

06-07-2011 08:33 PM in reply to: kchristman

You can drag property (in this case, it is a Comment property) from the Data Manager into the drawing and it will be created as a text. Thats how they do it in the sample project.

Active Contributor
kchristman
Message 7 of 8 (550 Views)

06-08-2011 07:03 AM in reply to: kchristman
Thank you. Now that you mention it, I actually did know that. Slipped my mind and I tried every thing but. Thanks for thr brain jog.
*Expert Elite*
Rave.Tam
Message 8 of 8 (531 Views)

06-08-2011 10:53 PM in reply to: kchristman

The problem was to find the item in the data manager which i want to place the annotation. And i dont want to create a block for every property which i might place into the drawing as annotation. So I'm now in the progress of making a tool to annotate the property (text) using right click menu. hopefully can finish it tonight.. and share it of course

WHTam

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Check out my blog http://lazcad.com

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community