AutoCAD P&ID General

Active Contributor
tgwestbrook
Message 1 of 9 (707 Views)
Accepted Solution

How Do I Get Valves and Inline Assets to Acquire 'Service'?

707 Views, 8 Replies
06-26-2012 08:10 AM

I am looking to have Valves and other Inline Assets acquire the 'Service' property from the Pipe Line Group, and have so far been stumped.

I tried simply adding 'Service' to the Inline Assets Class, but the acquisition rule only allows connected components so all I could access was the Line Segments.  So I tried to get the Line segments to Aquire 'Service' from the Line Group, and then project it on towards the Inline Assets, and thus Valves.

No luck,  it shows up as a '?'

What am I missing?

*Expert Elite*
Rave.Tam
Message 2 of 9 (697 Views)

Re: How Do I Get Valves and Inline Assets to Acquire 'Service'?

06-26-2012 10:11 PM in reply to: tgwestbrook

Why do you want to do so? It will show the service in the project reports.

It works for me. Have you tried to redraw the line and valve?

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Check out my blog http://lazcad.com
Active Contributor
tgwestbrook
Message 3 of 9 (690 Views)

06-27-2012 10:32 AM in reply to: Rave.Tam

The main reason is so that we can sort the valves by service in the datamanager while drafting.  Our tagging system makes automatic numbering impossible, so it would help to be able to look at all the valves on a particular service to know where the numbering left off.

*Expert Elite*
Rave.Tam
Message 4 of 9 (684 Views)

06-27-2012 07:23 PM in reply to: tgwestbrook

I see. Maybe you can use the project reports and filtered it to the current drawing? Anyway, did you get it to work?

Product Support
quentin.contreras
Message 5 of 9 (659 Views)

06-29-2012 10:44 AM in reply to: Rave.Tam

You could add the service to a valve tag. Go into your Project Setup and access your Hand Valves. Create a New... Hand Valve Tag based off of the existing one there. Rename Format Name: to what you want it to be called. Add Number of Subparts: to 3. In added Subpart select the Select Class Properties button.

07398808_1.png

In Select Class Property window, uncheck Use Target Object's Property, In Class: section slect Pipe Line Group. In Property section, select Service and then select OK to close the Select Class Property window.

07398808_2.png

Select OK to close Tag Format Setup. Make sure you have added the 3rd Subpart that should now say, Pipe Line Group.Service

07398808_3.png

Change the TagFormatName to the tag just created. Select OK to close the Project Setup window.

07398808_4.png

Proceed to try to insert a valve. You should have a valve that now shows the Service in the tag for the line it was placed on.

07398808_5.png

If you don't want to show the Service you can always go and make a new Annotation that does not include the Service.

You would follow the same steps for other Inline Assets you are wanting to add Service to.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Quentin Contreras
Active Contributor
tgwestbrook
Message 6 of 9 (636 Views)

07-05-2012 03:33 PM in reply to: quentin.contreras

Quentin,  your answer was very thorough and it helped me veryify my settings, so I accepted it as the correct answer.  What I was looking to do was still slightly different, however.   I only wanted the valves to acquire the line's service, not add it to the valve tag.

I returned to this problem after not looking at it for a week, and suddenly my valves were acquiring the service from the line.  I am not sure what changed or why it was not working before.  

I have noticed that any valves placed before I added the 'Service' field to the hand valve class did not acquire the lines data, but any valve that was added afterward does.  If I click 'Assign Tag' on a line and click 'assign' (without changing anything) all the valves on the line will then acquire the service information.

Product Support
quentin.contreras
Message 7 of 9 (630 Views)

07-05-2012 04:28 PM in reply to: tgwestbrook

I am glad you were able to get it working! However, my aplogies for not giving your exactly what you needed the first time around.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Quentin Contreras
Valued Contributor
andy.davis
Message 8 of 9 (623 Views)

07-06-2012 08:15 AM in reply to: tgwestbrook

Hi,

You had done everything correctly to start with.  All that you were missing was an event to trigger the propagation of the service through to the existing valves - you didn't need to include the service in the tag.

One way to trigger the propagation is to edit the acquired service property in the properties window of the pipe line segment - choose Override mode and then choose Acquire mode again without making any other changes.  You could do this in the Data Manager also.

Regards,

Andy

*Expert Elite*
Rave.Tam
Message 9 of 9 (616 Views)

07-06-2012 11:22 AM in reply to: tgwestbrook

This is the problem with update acquisition discussed here
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-P-ID/update-tag-problem/td-p/2751506 

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community