AutoCAD P&ID General

Distinguished Contributor
Tee.Dee
Message 1 of 6 (546 Views)

Control Valve properties HELP

546 Views, 5 Replies
11-15-2012 04:26 PM

Hi,

I want to add property descriptions to Control Valves such as manufacturer, model etc. but when I click on a control valve, the valve and the actuator are combined so the Properties window sees it as selecting 2 different blocks and does not display any of the properties I need.

How do I go about adding information to these properties if I cant access them?

Thanks

Contributor
Keough
Message 2 of 6 (443 Views)

Re: Control Valve properties HELP

11-28-2012 06:31 AM in reply to: Tee.Dee

Are you using 2013? If so, it's difficult... Autodesk seems to not pay any heed to problems/suggestions by users and do whatever their programmers think is 'cool' or 'innovative'... Or at least that is my view of them thus far.

I've noticed in 2013 there is a litte box that appears at the top of the properties box that controls "PICKADD Sysvar", it will contain a "+" or "1". Changing this then picking the control valve and then holding shift while picking either the body or the actuator (I can't specify which one because its not consistent on which one will work). This will allow only the valve (body) to be selected which you should be able to edit from there.

But its painfully unconsistent.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Tee.Dee
Message 3 of 6 (428 Views)

11-28-2012 02:09 PM in reply to: Tee.Dee

Thanks Keough,

Yes im using 2013, not sure how I did it but now when I insert control valves the valve and actuator are not grouped anymore.  If you want to change the type of valve or actuator each symbol has its own pull down substitute menu arrow.

Speaking of the substitute menu, im still having problems as mentioned in this thread: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-P-ID/Control-Valves-substitutions-problem/td-p/3625424  pretty useless feature if it doesnt work and results in having to reinsert the valve if you want to change it.

*Expert Elite*
Rave.Tam
Message 4 of 6 (395 Views)

12-04-2012 02:52 AM in reply to: Tee.Dee
To toggle selection of individual item in group, set pickstyle variable (0 or 1)
If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Check out my blog http://lazcad.com
Mentor
craig.wood
Message 5 of 6 (383 Views)

12-04-2012 07:53 PM in reply to: Tee.Dee

The only way I've been able to have this fixed automatically is to add the exact same properties (that are found under your control valve class) to your actuator class in order to have them display when clicking on any control valve. The only downfall to this is that you can't add certain acquisition properties to the actuator class like you can with the control valve class (ie: size, spec), since the actuator class can't acquire properties from the pipe line, but the control valve class can.

I hope this helps!

Craig

Tee.Dee
Message 6 of 6 (378 Views)

12-04-2012 07:58 PM in reply to: Tee.Dee

Thanks Rave.Tam, I should have realised this myself, I must have changed the value for another reason and thats how I got it working.

Thanks Craig, something else to think about to.

Anybody have an answer for the problem in the link I posted earlier in the thread?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community