AutoCAD P&ID General

craig.mitchell
Message 1 of 5 (1,042 Views)
Accepted Solution

AutoCAD P&ID 2013...how to create flips and rotations on P&ID symbols

1042 Views, 4 Replies
05-16-2013 06:36 PM

Hi guys,

Is there anyone that has come across this or found a solution. Our company has recently moved onto P&ID and I have been given the task of creating the project template file.

My question is 'How do you add flip and rotations to P&ID symbol?' an eg is the end cap in AutoCAD P&ID, once inserted if you click the cap it gives you the option to flip it. I can't seem to get this to work and was wondering what is the process in doing so.

Thanks,

Craig.

Mentor
craig.wood
Message 2 of 5 (1,016 Views)

Re: AutoCAD P&ID 2013...how to create flips and rotations on P&ID symbol

05-18-2013 12:35 PM in reply to: craig.mitchell

Hey Craig,

Unfortunately this is one of the big disappointments with AutoCAD P&ID; it is not possible to use dynamic blocks as P&ID symbols. If you were to create a dynamic block that has the abilities like flip/rotate, or make it parametric (stretchy), it will work as a non-P&ID symbol, but as soon as you assign it to a class and make it a legitimate P&ID symbol, it loses its dynamic block abilities. I come from a SmartPlant background where the dynamic abilities to flip and rotate where as you say, built into the symbol when you select it. The only way around this is to create an additional block for every different orientation that you'd like a symbol to have, ie:lower-right, lower-left, upper-right, upper-left, etc. You can utilize the graphical styles or the substitution palette to accomplish this, it's just not as convenient as having the flip/rotate buttons built in. I still use dynamic blocks for non-P&ID items for things like wall/floor graphics that I don't need to carry any data for reporting, so that's the only exception.

Thanks,

Craig

If my reply is a solution to your problem, click "Accept as Solution" below.

craig.mitchell
Message 3 of 5 (998 Views)

05-19-2013 04:00 PM in reply to: craig.wood

Thanks mate, thats what I have started doing. Creating mutliple variations of the blocks.

Contributor
cmcdonnell
Message 4 of 5 (940 Views)

05-28-2013 10:10 PM in reply to: craig.mitchell

Can you not tick the box saying flow dependant?

I recently had to make an RPZ symbol which had a butterly, check valve, pressure, check valve and butterfly
I made it up starting with an iso check valve. it caused me frustation when i reveresed the flow that the check valve automation seemed to disapear. I then came across this flow dependant tick box and now it mirrors it/flips it when i reverse flow or press the blue arrow grip when i highlight. 

What did cause me a problem that I have no solution to is it also mirrors the pressure relief symbol diagnol lines but in the grand scheme of things I dont see this being an issue. On a legend table you dont show both symbols for a check valve when you flip it so Im assuming it will be acceptable to all to accept this mirrored/flip symbol.

Hopes this helps. Ive only recently started using P&ID software so its all new to me and ill help where I can.
Colin

Mentor
craig.wood
Message 5 of 5 (928 Views)

05-29-2013 12:32 PM in reply to: cmcdonnell

So flow direction and orientation end up being two separate issues. Autodesk did a nice job with the option to make an inline component's flow direction based on the flow of the line, but failed to make convenient provisions for quickly changing a component's orientation about a line.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community