AutoCAD P&ID General

Active Contributor
bfedrafter
Message 1 of 10 (739 Views)
Accepted Solution

Annotation Style Drop Down List in Assign Tag

739 Views, 9 Replies
09-27-2012 11:51 AM

I created a new annotation style, set up my block, etc.  It works fine as long as I select the line and short cut menu to add that specific annotation.  How do I get it to appear in the annotation style drop down list during tagging?  I have the "Place annotation after assigning tag" checked, but that new style is not avaialbe.  Even if I mark my new style as the default in the project settings it won't appear in the drop down.

*Expert Elite*
dave.wolfe
Message 2 of 10 (733 Views)

Re: Annotation Style Drop Down List in Assign Tag

09-27-2012 01:42 PM in reply to: bfedrafter

Can you post a screen shot of where you want the annotation to display? The only way I've found to select a specific annotation is to use the right-click as you said. 

Because you can have a large number of annotation, having a control that displays them all, isn't very helpful, so I've found the best way is the selection + right-click.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

ECAD, Inc.
Tips and Tricks on our blog: Process Design, from the Outside

A P3D Authorized Reseller
Active Contributor
bfedrafter
Message 3 of 10 (730 Views)

09-27-2012 01:57 PM in reply to: dave.wolfe

But selecting and picking from a shortcut menu would also display all of them so that theory isn't anymore helpful either?  Especially since it requires an extra step instead of having it autocommand immediately after tagging?  I've attached a screen shot, where I want it to appear.  In my case I only need one extra annotation style to appear here.  I'm thinking about setting up a copied line segment, with it's own tag format because the annotation route is not working to my benefit.  Thoughts?

*Expert Elite*
dave.wolfe
Message 4 of 10 (726 Views)

09-27-2012 02:24 PM in reply to: bfedrafter

That looks like the annotation style was added to the wrong class.  Did you create the annotation on pipeline segments?

9-27-2012 5-19-39 PM.jpg

Dave Wolfe

ECAD, Inc.

Active Contributor
bfedrafter
Message 5 of 10 (723 Views)

09-27-2012 02:33 PM in reply to: dave.wolfe

Yes I did...what you have there is exactly what I had created.  I want an annotation with an insulation label and one without.  But I can't get my insulation label to appear in the drop down.  I just deleted both the pipeline tag annotation and the insulation label annotation to start over since I've created a mess trying to fix it.  Now I can't get my pipeline tag to appear and am only left with Tag and Oval Tag in my drop down.

Active Contributor
bfedrafter
Message 6 of 10 (722 Views)

09-27-2012 02:35 PM in reply to: dave.wolfe

The Tag Format and the Annotation names are independent of eachother correct?  That kept throwing me for a loop too.

*Expert Elite*
dave.wolfe
Message 7 of 10 (696 Views)

09-28-2012 05:09 AM in reply to: bfedrafter

Yes, the tag format is how you want the project to identify unique items for a class.  Annotations are how you want information displayed on a drawing.  Can you post a sample project or something?  Without further information, it's hard to see what you may have done wrong.

Dave Wolfe

ECAD, Inc.

Active Contributor
bfedrafter
Message 8 of 10 (689 Views)

09-28-2012 06:49 AM in reply to: dave.wolfe

Well do the 4 annotations shown in your screen shot appear in your drop down when you assign tags?  Because you said the only way you know is to use the select and short cut menu right?  I've already got that far, but that's not what I want.  I have everything set up correctly, I just want it added to my drop down.  Where is the function/command/checkmark that puts it into there?  I believe it is against our company privacy policy for me to post anything outside of a screenshot of cad only material.

*Expert Elite*
dave.wolfe
Message 9 of 10 (683 Views)

09-28-2012 07:41 AM in reply to: bfedrafter

When I made that statement, I thought you were trying to get it from the ribbon panel.

In any case, the key seems to be having the TargetObject.Tag property present in the block.  I was able to copy the default insulation label which without that that property will not display in the dropdown.

9-28-2012 10-35-46 AM.jpg 

Dave Wolfe

ECAD, Inc.

Active Contributor
bfedrafter
Message 10 of 10 (680 Views)

09-28-2012 08:36 AM in reply to: dave.wolfe

THANK YOU!  Problem fixed!

The issue was that I kept trying to re-attach a whole string of attributes to my new annotation block, instead of using everything that was already attached/set up in my "Target Object Tag".  For future reference, it may be easier to create a smaller tag format, say with just the line number, so more annotation styles can exist without duplicating the tag contents.  Of course consistancy is key, but now I further understand how this correlates and appears in the drop down.

Thanks again!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community