AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

dblackwe
Message 1 of 6 (219 Views)

RE: Changing Sline Gapping Defaults

219 Views, 5 Replies
04-02-2009 10:57 AM

Forgive me if this question has been discussed before, but:

Is there any way to change which line gets gapped on Sline crossing. I'm running P&ID 2008, and it would seem that the gapping defaults are set hierarchically (on the programming level) and vertical always gaps for horizontal...except sometimes (I guess when it chooses), but I want to know how I can choose which line gaps.

Adding a gap to the horizontal line does not work as this only creates the appearance of a gap. P&ID does not recognize that a break exists, so this just creates gapping in the vertical AND horizontal lines--more graphically confusing...

I do know that I could just have two separate lines with a gap between them (where vertical line crosses), but then I have to create a spacing block (to later be deleted) for each line cross where I purposely want vertical crossing horizontal in the drawing--whole lotta churn...

Please help if a method, solution/fix, or work-around exists for this version.
Active Contributor
funkbro2
Message 2 of 6 (219 Views)

Re: RE: Changing Sline Gapping Defaults

04-03-2009 07:39 AM in reply to: dblackwe
By default, two lines of the same priority (or type) if crossing, the horizontal one will go first and the vertical will be gapped

If the two lines cross are different priority (or type) the one with lower priority will be gapped, regardless of which way it crosses.

You can check gapping priority under Engineering Items > Lines > Linetype > Edit Line > Gapping Priority
*Jorge Lopez
Message 3 of 6 (219 Views)

04-06-2009 01:56 PM in reply to: dblackwe

Right. What can be done is copy a style and change
the priority on it. Then select the line you want gapped and change it's
graphical style via property palette.

Jorge

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
By
default, two lines of the same priority (or type) if crossing, the horizontal
one will go first and the vertical will be gapped If the two lines cross are
different priority (or type) the one with lower priority will be gapped,
regardless of which way it crosses. You can check gapping priority under
Engineering Items > Lines > Linetype > Edit Line > Gapping
Priority
dblackwe
Message 4 of 6 (219 Views)

04-07-2009 11:08 AM in reply to: dblackwe
Jorge & funkbro2,

Thank you both for your responses. That definitely addresses my issue for global gap priority changes. I would imagine it could get a little hairy though if I'm dropping, say, a vertical line from a utility header and I want to gap the vertical line sometimes and the horizontals crossing it others... but without respect to what's being crossed (i.e. not necessarily global line gap priority). Could turn into a Sudoku puzzle pretty fast.

For me gapping is an aesthetic thing: I want it to be uniform, easy, and (especially) quick. Tracking line prioities adds another 'layer' of conscientiousness (seriously, that pun wasn't intended). Hopefully, in future iterations of the software, each line crossing itself can be treated locally as an ON-OFF: Vertical vs. Horiztonal Gapping, where double clicking near the intersection changes the gapping for that particular cross--not the whole line.

Have either of you heard about anything like that coming in future versions? Thank you both again.

David
Valued Contributor
mel_mason
Message 5 of 6 (219 Views)

01-04-2010 09:59 PM in reply to: dblackwe
is the gapping priority listed somewhere, so i know what each variable means? I am wanting to break instrument lines over pipe line
Employee
sivapd
Message 6 of 6 (219 Views)

01-06-2010 08:36 PM in reply to: dblackwe
It is in the project setup. browse to the pipe line or signal line classes and click on the "Edit line" button and look at the last property - Gap priority. The default setup is signal lines (gap priority = 5) will break over pipelines (gap priority = 1~4).

Siva Thankappan
Technical Sales, Plant Solutions, Asia Pacific
Autodesk Singapore

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community