$_Michael
Message 1 of 7 (998 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem with alternative symbols

998 Views, 6 Replies
07-22-2013 12:55 AM

Dear P&ID User,

during my work with ACAD P&ID 2013 following problem occured:

For some valves i need an alternative graphical symbol.

So i added the new block and symbol in the project manager.  >> projectmanager >> ad symbol

If i pic the alternative symbol from the tool palette, P&ID always inserts the original symbol, not the new (alternative) symbol.

I can pick the new symbol in the drawing and change the graphical style manually at the property dialog. The new alternative symbol is now shown correctly.

But always when i change e.g. the endconnection (flanged, screwed) or modify the properties of a line (flow/Pressure, diameter etc.) the alternative symbol changes to the orignal symbol.

This problem occurs in P&ID 2013 (SP1) and 2014.

I hope anyone can help me in this matter, because i think this is a very usefull function of ACAD P&ID.

with best regards and a good start of work

Michael

ACAD PID 2013 (SP1), PID 2014
Win 7 64 bit
Employee
TomislavGolubovic
Message 2 of 7 (976 Views)

Re: Problem with alternative symbols

07-22-2013 03:50 PM in reply to: $_Michael

When you add a new symbol, there is a Property called GraphicalStyle or similar, where you select which graphical style represents the valve you want to see.

Tomislav Golubovic
Plant Solutions Engineer
Autodesk Australia / New Zealand
Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
$_Michael
Message 3 of 7 (969 Views)

07-22-2013 11:09 PM in reply to: TomislavGolubovic

Dear Tomislav,

thanks for your reply.:smileyhappy:

But as i discribed above, i already changed the graphical style using the property dialog.

The problem is, that the alternative symbol always changes the graphical style back to the existing symbol when you change e.g. the endconnections or properties at the pipeline.

I made some tests yesterday:

It seems, that using alternative symbols at the P&ID class definition "hand valves" does not work if you use the P&ID standard object classes (for eg. Ball valve etc.).

If you create your own object class (e.g. "special globe valve") you can use 2 or more different graphical styles without any problems during updating.

I hope Autodesk will find a solution for my problem.

Best regards

Michael

Win 7 64 bit
Soulfly45
Message 4 of 7 (905 Views)

08-07-2013 11:55 PM in reply to: $_Michael

I think renaming the new symbol may work.

Valued Contributor
andy.davis
Message 5 of 7 (844 Views)

08-23-2013 04:46 AM in reply to: Soulfly45

Hi,

As you're modifying valves, you need to edit the Normally property list appropriately - this is a Symbol List that defines the symbol to use for the valve based on it's open/closed state etc.

Regards,

Andy

Contributor
$_Michael
Message 6 of 7 (471 Views)

11-11-2013 02:27 AM in reply to: andy.davis
Thanks for your advise regarding the Symbol list.
Win 7 64 bit
Mentor
craig.wood
Message 7 of 7 (432 Views)

11-15-2013 09:42 AM in reply to: $_Michael

Also, you can change the graphical style of a symbol, but if the graphical styles for that block are linked to a Symbol List, then the graphic will be reset to the default upon save if not driven by a proper change in the Symbol List property.

Craig

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community