AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

Contributor
dgrant775
Message 1 of 3 (229 Views)

Not Enjoying the Signal Line Routing Experience - Any Suggestions?

229 Views, 2 Replies
02-12-2012 05:26 PM

Signal line routing between instrumentation is similar to pulling weeds.  When to job is complete it looks great.  When they route perfectly it is very satisfying; however, if the instruments need to be moved after initial interconnection, the lack of programming intelligence within the class becomes quite apparent.  For example, consider two instruments attached with an electrical signal line.  Simply moving an attached instrument from its initial position to the opposite side of the second attached instrument (ortho on) drags the signal line through both.  Modifying using grips often creates signal line spagetti.  Unfortunately the fastest way to reposition is to erase and reroute.  Moving reducers is even more frustrating (needs another post).

Is there a setting somewhere that intelligently reroutes interconnected objects?  Ortho and grid snaps do not help. If a setting does not exist, the following become wish list items:

1. Add methods to the SLINE class that track initial AttachmentPoint coordinates of connected objects and compare against the final coordinates. Then autoroute the SLINE between nearest AttachmentPoints.Avoid overwriting either or both instruments.  Ultimate:  Use Plant3D's autorouting algorithm and allowthe user to cycle through the autorouted choices. 

2.  Give priority to the Node Snap when routing or rerouting any process line including connecting to another componet.  Currently Nearest, Perpendicular, Midpoint, and most of the others seem to have priority.  True, I could adjust snap settings, but during revisions envolving positioning of equipment, annotations, as well as sline segments, multiple snaps are needed.  Is there a customization setting allowing Node Snap priority when an SLINE is the current selected object?    

Thanks,

Douglas S. Grant, PG, CEM

Employee
julesbrenner
Message 2 of 3 (159 Views)

Re: Not Enjoying the Signal Line Routing Experience - Any Suggestions?

03-01-2012 04:24 PM in reply to: dgrant775

Hello Douglas,

Could you please post a DWG with an example of the two-instrument scenario? I'd like to try it out, speak to other members of our Plant team, and get back to you with something that I hope will be helpful.

Thanks and kind regards,

Jules

Jules Brenner (Autodesk)
*Expert Elite*
Rave.Tam
Message 3 of 3 (151 Views)

Re: Not Enjoying the Signal Line Routing Experience - Any Suggestions?

03-01-2012 08:01 PM in reply to: dgrant775

Since instrument symbols would always maintain its orientation, i would simply mirror both symbols.  But the problem with mirror, is when you export to AutoCAD, the attributes will moved.

Anyway, autoroute is a good idea

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Check out my blog http://lazcad.com
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.