AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

Mentor
craig.wood
Message 1 of 8 (805 Views)
Accepted Solution

Copying Drawings in a Project

805 Views, 7 Replies
07-19-2012 09:11 AM

We are having problems copying drawing. What is the correct workflow for copying drawings within a P&ID project? We have dozens of drawings that are copies of original "seed" drawings and must have a way to create these without having to draw them from scratch.

I've tried doing a 'save as,' and then 'copy drawing to project' but the project manager doesn't seem to recognize the new drawing, but instead thinks it's the original drawing file. Also, it doesn't seem to want to sync with the database and throws a system exception.

I've even tried other methods such as copying the drawing in windows explorer, renaming the copied drawing, then trying to copy the drawing to the project. When this is done, the project manager seems to think that the copied drawing is still the same file as the original, and will not sync with the database to even give me copied tags (ex:V100?), but ususally throws a system exception.

Please help us with this...

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Valued Contributor
andy.davis
Message 2 of 8 (787 Views)

Re: Copying Drawings in a Project

07-24-2012 05:00 AM in reply to: craig.wood

Hi,

Have you tried treating your 'seed' drawing as an assembly?

WBLOCK out the entrire 'seed' drawing to a non-project drawing.

Create a new drawing in your target project then insert and explode the non-project drawing.

Works for me.

Regards,

Andy

Mentor
craig.wood
Message 3 of 8 (783 Views)

07-24-2012 11:43 AM in reply to: andy.davis

So far that seems to be the best way to do a whole drawing.

The only problems I see using this method were also common to all of the other methods I tried.

1. The description fields in my off-page connectors were cleared out (probably due to the program placing new ones in their place).

2. The control valves/actuators seem to lose their block reference and have to all be replaced (which appears to be linked to a problem that I've been having where my valve substitution feature has stopped working, and only generic body (gate) valves come in instead of the valve I select. Autodesk confirmed this problem with the manual valve class where if you nest your classes too deep, it occurrs.)

Thanks for your help!

Craig

Active Contributor
cbeinecke
Message 4 of 8 (764 Views)

07-26-2012 08:27 AM in reply to: craig.wood

That's an easy one. Just use Windows Explorer to copy in your folder and give the copy a different name. Then you can add the new drawing to the project with "Copy drawing to project...". That's it.

Using copy and paste to copy the object from a drawing into a new blank drawing has the disadvantage that the pipeline group properties (line number and service) won't be copied.

Carsten

Mentor
craig.wood
Message 5 of 8 (762 Views)

07-26-2012 08:37 AM in reply to: cbeinecke

Carsten,

That was one of the first methods I tried, but I would always have trouble getting the program and database to recognize the content as new and unique. The program would see it as the seed drawing and it would be disregarded upon copying to the project.

The "wblock" method however, worked well. When I exploded the wblock in the new drawing, the program recognized it in the same way as if I had done a simple copy and paste - but with much more stability, and  it added all of the items as new content in the database as well. This method was much more consistent and stable.

Thanks,

Craig

Contributor
aeiken
Message 6 of 8 (759 Views)

07-26-2012 11:43 AM in reply to: craig.wood

Hi Craig,

We have been using the wblock method also. When we explode it moves our instrument tags from their original positions. Have you had similar problems?

Ken

Mentor
craig.wood
Message 7 of 8 (757 Views)

07-26-2012 12:03 PM in reply to: aeiken

Ken,

I can't say that I've seen any instrument tags get moved, but that doesn't matter much to us anyway due to having to completely replace control valve anyway.

Thanks,

Craig

Active Contributor
cbeinecke
Message 8 of 8 (754 Views)

07-27-2012 12:08 AM in reply to: craig.wood

Craig,

I tried it with PID 2013 and it worked on my machine. After opening the copyied drawing you'll see the same Tags as in the original drawing, but they are independent of each other. So if you start editing the Tags in the copied drawing the Tags in the original drawing won't be changed.

Regards,

Carsten

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.