AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

bboudreaux
Message 1 of 4 (803 Views)

Can P&ID objects be Dynamic Blocks?

803 Views, 3 Replies
08-26-2011 03:08 PM

After constant trial and error and an endless internet search history I'm tired of messing with this problem. I found a forum question from 2009 that said it isn't possible. Just wanted some clarification for v2012.

All I want is to be able to have a P&ID object with dynamic block grips for strechting.

I have a workaround I thought about and will try it out on Monday and let you know.

perezca
Message 2 of 4 (749 Views)

Re: Can P&ID objects be Dynamic Blocks?

09-02-2011 10:12 AM in reply to: bboudreaux

How did your workaround do?  What did you do?

I have found that I can use Dynamic blocks (regular dynamic blocks) only if they are in an outside library and inserted as blocks into my drawings.  It seems that I cannot use them as part of my project, whether I made them through the project manager (edit block) or outside the project.

Basically, unless someone shows me how, if you want the usability of regular dynamic block parameters, you cannot add that block to your project manager, but only insert it into the drawing.

bboudreaux
Message 3 of 4 (744 Views)

09-02-2011 01:21 PM in reply to: perezca

It worked good for what I needed. We have a few control panels on our dwgs that need to be P&ID objects for easy tag changes. Having them as a piece of equipment for exporting from data manager works great. The symbol is just a basic rectangle. The problem was the description was too long for the box in some cases. What I ended up doing was making the symbol a small square that I put on the no plot layer after insertion. I then edited the Infotag block to contain dynamic properties just like when it underlines the tag for you. I put a box around the tag and setup constraints to keep them a uniform height but setup strech parameters for the width. I the dwg it kinda looks funny because the little box is in the middle of the tag but it wont print so the customers will never see it.

Valued Contributor
Heckmeck
Message 4 of 4 (468 Views)

10-24-2012 12:47 AM in reply to: bboudreaux

In Acad P&ID 2012, is there finally a solution for this?

I think everybody agrees, that having the ability for dynamic P&ID objects would be more than a "nice to have".

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community