AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

Contributor
boswald
Message 1 of 7 (2,375 Views)

AutoCAD P&ID 2011 Annotation Update Problem

2375 Views, 6 Replies
12-28-2010 06:24 AM

I have created many custom symbols, under a custom class Engineering Items / Equipment / “Logic”, and a custom Signal Line Segment called "Logic_Signal", which has an annotation block of two text entries, one above the line, and one below the line.  The one above the line grabs a TargetObject field I added called “OutputSignalName” and the one below the line is TargetObject.Tag.  The Tag Format is set to be a concatenation of InstrumentType & InsturmentNumber that I have called “LogicSignal [Name]”.

Inserting the "Logic_Signal" line into a drawing, and attaching the annotation, all is fine until I either close and re-open the drawing or cause the database to recalculate (I’m not sure of what all triggers this, but open file and edit project properties do).  On file re-open, both fields of the annotation become the same, grabbing the text from the above the line “OutputSignalName” field.  If I double click on the annotation to bring up the Edit Annotation dialog, it shows the preview of both fields being the same, but the text boxes show the correct and different entries.  Clicking “OK” puts the fields back to how they should be, when I save, the file all stays ok.  On re-open, the file opens with the text correct for a few moments, but the entries revert back to being incorrect duplicate text entries as the database update is processed.

I’ve attached screenshots:

• AnnotationUpdate1 (Edit Annotation dialog with conflicting entries)
  • AnnotationUpdate2 (corrected annotation)
  • LogicSignalClass (screenshot of the class setup) (note the screenshot shows “TargetObject.Comment” because I changed it to see if that would fix the problem)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brad

Employee
lopezjo
Message 2 of 7 (2,268 Views)

Re: AutoCAD P&ID 2011 Annotation Update Problem

01-05-2011 08:13 AM in reply to: boswald

Gathering information and will get back to you soon.

Jorge Lopez
Software Architect
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Board Manager
MangeshKalbhor
Message 3 of 7 (2,245 Views)

01-05-2011 04:32 PM in reply to: boswald

This is the the recently uncovered heinous bug, when ‘Edit Annotation’ dialog is used for annotations that has multiple fields including TargetObject.Tag and some other property. This does not happen for all the annotations, but when it happens it corrupts the Tag field. This can be avoided by not opening the Edit Annotation dialog for a given annotation. If this problem causes the temporary workaround until the fix is available would be to let the program recalculate the tag value by updating one of the tag sub-parts in Data Manager. But the value will be corrupted again at re-open. Development team is looking into this issue.     

Mangesh Kalbhor
Autodesk Plant Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
boswald
Message 4 of 7 (2,090 Views)

01-18-2011 07:43 AM in reply to: boswald

For anyone else who has this problem, these are my workarounds:

1)      When you create your project and build it, DON’T use the annotation update dialog, so DON’T double click on any annotation, or you are doomed...

2)      Once you have built your project and it is perfect (well, all the annotations),

a.       open the data manager (Command: _DATAMANAGER),

b.      save the current drawing data (or the whole project) by clicking on the Export button which saves it to an Excel file. 

3)      To fix the messed up annotations after they get corrupted

If you are lucky most of your annotations will be on a single object class (mine are all attached to a single signal line class – which is good).

a.       Click the data manager Import button

b.      In the file dialog drill down to your excel file.  (data manager doesn't remember the path to the last workbook {AARRGGH}

c.       Data manager exports every class in a separate tab on the excel spreadsheet, and it only imports one tab at a time.

I tried to get the "export-it-all-to-a-single-external-class" option to work by creating a set of export import rules in the project manager, as described on page 244 of "AutoCAD P&ID 2010 for Administrators", but for some reason it doesn't work, perhaps they changed it in 2011 version).

NOTE:  when you try to re-import, P&ID won’t allow certain things that were fine on export, like blank tags, so you may have to play around with the Excel file a bit…

d.      All the changed things get red lines around them, and yellow highlights in the data manager – click on the Accept All button.

e.      You should be good to go

f.        I found that the annotations didn’t auto-change on file open anymore, so I didn’t need the workaround anymore…

Distinguished Contributor
Gabriel.N
Message 5 of 7 (1,651 Views)

03-29-2011 02:43 AM in reply to: boswald

Every time I make some change on Project Properites, all my annotations reset. Another problem is when using auto-annotate and auto-tag, the annotation goes to the 0,0 UCS.

lukecoxon3d
Message 6 of 7 (696 Views)

Re: AutoCAD P&ID 2011 Annotation Duplication / Update Problem

05-14-2013 11:17 PM in reply to: Gabriel.N

Gabriel.N 

I get exactly the same problem. 

I some projects my Primary Line Annotations in P&ID get duplicated to 0,0 (bottom left hand corner of drg) and my Process line segments dont.

And in other projects it is the other way around. Process line Annotations get duplicated to 0,0.

I looked through all of the Annotation settings, block settings, P&ID class defs, but they all have the same settings?
Autodesk?

Whats going on with this bug fix?

phclark
Message 7 of 7 (73 Views)

07-17-2014 01:29 PM in reply to: MangeshKalbhor

Has any progress been made towards addressing this bug?  We have Plant 3D 2014 and this bug is still present.  

Our problem is this:

If the Tag format property is changed from within Project Setup, we have to go into each item from within Data Manager and update the Tag field before annotations are updated. This is not a terrible hassle for P&IDs, but Orthos may have many model objects being annotated. 

Is there a better workaround in place?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community