AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

AutoCAD P&ID General Discussion

Contributor
rnishimura
Message 1 of 5 (131 Views)

2004 compatibility

131 Views, 4 Replies
03-17-2008 03:21 PM
For compatibility purposes I've been trying to downsave a copy everything I work on in P&ID 2008 to 2004 format. This is to try to allow coworkers with AutoCAD 2006 to view my files. However, we have run into a couple problems.

1) Where the file is opened with AutoCAD 2006, a "Proxy Information" popup dialog box is shown and even if "Show proxy graphics" is selected, the user will still have to close and reopen the file to see all the graphics.

2) Whenever the text is too long in the Instrumentation symbols, the bubbles are not automatically broken anymore.

Is there a way to resolve these issues?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Ryan
*Jorge Lopez
Message 2 of 5 (131 Views)

Re: 2004 compatibility

03-18-2008 07:22 AM in reply to: rnishimura
Hi Ryan,

I am not aware of work arounds to the issues you are reporting. I'll try to
reproduce and report defects against the software as needed. For item #1,
did you try REGEN?

fwiw - In AutoCAD P&ID 2009, there is a new feature that allows you to save
a P&ID drawing as a normal AutoCAD drawing (no custom entities).

Thanks,

Jorge

"rnish" wrote in message news:5878096@discussion.autodesk.com...
For compatibility purposes I've been trying to downsave a copy everything I
work on in P&ID 2008 to 2004 format. This is to try to allow coworkers with
AutoCAD 2006 to view my files. However, we have run into a couple problems.

1) Where the file is opened with AutoCAD 2006, a "Proxy Information" popup
dialog box is shown and even if "Show proxy graphics" is selected, the user
will still have to close and reopen the file to see all the graphics.

2) Whenever the text is too long in the Instrumentation symbols, the bubbles
are not automatically broken anymore.

Is there a way to resolve these issues?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Ryan
Contributor
rnishimura
Message 3 of 5 (131 Views)

03-24-2008 02:06 PM in reply to: rnishimura
Is there any ETA on when AutoCAD P&ID 2009 will come out?

Thanks again,
Ryan
Contributor
rnishimura
Message 4 of 5 (131 Views)

04-09-2008 05:23 PM in reply to: rnishimura
Also, I've noticed that when an AutoCAD P&ID 2008 file is opened with any other program (AutoCAD 2008, AutoCAD Electrical 2008, TrueView 2009) I still have the problem of the text NOT masking out the instrumentation bubbles when the text exceeds the space within the bubble. Is there a solution to that, so colleagues can print out the files I create with AutoCAD P&ID without these problems?

Thanks again,
Ryan
Contributor
dxmnkd316
Message 5 of 5 (131 Views)

06-04-2008 06:14 AM in reply to: rnishimura
On point #2, it's due to the symbols using an invisible raster graphic box that is stretched with the text. I'm guessing 2004 has *ahem* issues with this type of formatting. Look up the "wipeout" command in the help. I was told to read that and it gave quite a bit of info. Unfortunately, I don't offer a solution, only a root cause.

Hope this helps.

Edit: You can open up the Block Editor and do a select all on a symbol to see the grips for the block. In addition, you can turn framing on for raster graphics to make it always visible.

These raster graphics have caused major headaches on my end when printing to PDF. The raster graphic frames always end up appearing when plotted on a printer. I'm guessing that's because I use Adobe Acrobat 6.0.x though. Message was edited by: dxmnkd316
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD P&ID Category!

The AutoCAD P&ID forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.