We are migrating from Mechanical 2006 to Mechanical 2011 and the recovery dialog keeps popping up when we go to open drawings. It happens about 3 out of 4 times and is really starting to get on my nerves. Our version came with SP1 integrated, and yesterday I installed SP2 in the hopes of fixing it but nothing has changed.
With both versions we always put the settings to save back to be compatible with Acad 2000, for compatibility with all our customers.
There really seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Most of our drawings were existing already. I will cancel the open like it asks, then recover, and it always says that one object has been deleted. What object was deleted I don't know and that really worries me. Then I will open the drawing and it works fine. When I do modify the drawing, it is nothing brought in from outside sources, it is often just a handful of lines and circles. Nothing fancy or even special to version 2011. However, even if I didn't do anything to the drawing, if I open it later it often asks me to recover it again.
I have tried all combinations of the RECOVERYMODE and RECOVERAUTO variables and for whatever reason, nothing changes. If I set RECOVERYMODE to 0, it should stop happening but it doesn't. If I set RECOVERAUTO to 2, it should at least run in the command prompt without popping up a dialog box, but the dialog box still comes up.
I have also noticed that the Mechanical 2006 has the RECOVERYMODE set to 2, which should pop up the dialog box if there are errors. Yet in the 5 years of using Mechanical 2006, working with the same computer, same network, same everything else, and 99.99% of the same drawings, I have NEVER ONCE seen this error. However if I take one of these same drawings that has finally been opened by version 2011 and it shows there is an error and I don't recover, then 2006 will indeed show that there is an error. So 2006 is working properly. These errors were never in our drawings until we started opening them with version 2011.
We have both versions installed for the moment, while we are migrating from one to the other. But it's not just 2011 being there causing the problem, because 2011 has been installed for about a month before I started using it and there were still no errors being shown.
What could be causing this? It looks like Mechanical 2011 is continually corrupting our drawings.
I have the same problem i try changing that you say including update my video driver Nvidia for the last certified and update my windows 7 x64 with all patches but nothing the problem follow.
I'm getting this alot in 2012. As well as lots of random crashes. I've tried it on 2 different machines, and I get the same thing. My drawings have Xrefs and Data Links. Don't know if this is the cause.
OS is XP SP3. We don't use xrefs or data links. Our drawings are very basic and old school. Everything is 2D, paper space with a model space viewport. We try to make everything as backward compatible as possible, both for our customers and for our own sales department which still runs version 2000. If you compare a drawing done in 2011 to a drawing done in 1998, you wouldn't be able to tell a difference other than the date in the title block. Occassionally we do use some of the Mechanical features such as steel shapes, sprockets, and bolts because it is more convenient to grab the geometry that way. However we always explode them and put them into our own block names and layers. And all of the drawings I have had problems with so far never even used those features, just simple lines, circles, and dimensions. We do absolutely nothing different than in Mechanical 2006, and if it were up to me we would just stay with the rock solid trusty old 2006 but that decision is made by powers above me.
We really aren't supposed to post any customer drawings, so here is a typical in-house drawing which is having problems.