AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

editing blocks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
227 Views, 2 Replies

editing blocks

I am using AutoCad Mechanical 2012 and I use a lot of blocks and was wondering if there was a way to edit a block from my library and have that change affect everywhere that block is used?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
kiraimmorris
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm sorry if my  response isn't explained well, it's been a while (2 years) sense i've used 2012 ed.

But i believe if you open a block as an Xref (via type xref in the command prompt), or make it an Xref you will achieve your goal. You can read up about using, editing, attaching, and unattaching xrefs in you autodesk help menu via F1 key or type help in the command promt.

Message 3 of 3
steve216586
in reply to: Anonymous

If you use AutoCAD Mechanical Content, whether included with Mechanical or created by another, the "blocks" will actually be "linked" Structured Parts. The original can be modified and when opening subsequent drawings a warning dialog will open which states the Structured Part has been modified. I personally set all my library parts to "Read Only" so this warning comes up even if a user accidentally tries to modify a "linked" part. Of course, if the part has been "unlinked" then no warning will appear, since you must rename the part after "unlinking" it from the original in the library.

If you are using simple vanilla AutoCAD blocks then there is no way to do this universally throughout all your drawings. The ability to change the original and have all other copies be effected, in all drawings too, is the main selling point of Mechanical compared to Vanilla.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost