AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot recognize corrdinate 0,0

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
not2013
259 Views, 8 Replies

cannot recognize corrdinate 0,0

Does anyone know why mechanical 2013 does not recognized coordinate systen  0,0?

Move and entity from 1 local to it proper position.  Mechanical cannot preform the task. When I type in 0,0 for the correct locale, mech2013 does nothing.

thx

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: not2013

Try #0,0

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
not2013
in reply to: JDMather

Yes well I assumed if it still worked that it would take more key storkes than before, and if you right then so am I.

But my questions is WHY DOES mechanical not undestand what 0,0 is?

Thank you!

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

The default behavior was changed from Absolute (#) to Relative (@) years ago.

You can change it back if you like in Options.

I almost always use Absolute - so I applauded when then change the default to save me keystrokes (not having to do Shift @ anymore).  Autodesk did a good job on this one. Hurray!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
JDMather

I think I told you wrong location to change.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Mechanical/Can-I-make-absolute-coordinates-default/td-p/199114...

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
not2013

The question is why was it changed to add more keystrokes to do what it used to do?

This is at least the 50th item I have found that forces you to waste time over what it used to be.  WHY the continued expanding of working commands to make more keystorkes than before.  All of this waste time over a year it's at least 2-5 days of work wasted by purchasing new autodesk version of the cad software.  WHY WASTE PEOPLES TIME?

If there is a logical reason I would like to know.  Otherwise it is just more ammo for me to use in my effort to get rid of autodesk products. I'm trying to give autodesk the benefit of the doubt.

Shall I write auotdesk?

Message 7 of 9
not2013

You are out of grasp with reality.

Before it was 0,0

Now it is #0,0

That is an extra stroke, not less.  Can’t you count?

Message 8 of 9
JDMather

I guess you are having trouble following my explanation, so I will try again.

Point 1.  Probably 99% of the time I am entering Relative coordinates.

I used to have to always do the Shift@ which I find as a hard key combination to stretch my fingers.

So I asked Autodesk to change the default behavior just for me so that Relative is the default and I don't have to do the Shift @ (so if I'm counting keystrokes - that is fewer key strokes for me the 99% of the time I'm entering coordinates).

Point 2. I only do Absolute coodinates maybe 1% of the time, so yes - I do now have an extra keystroke Shift # for that 1% case.

Point 3.  Any user can set it back to the Legacy behavior as described (or linked) elsewhere in this thread - so however you work - you can still "have it your way".

Isn't that cool how Autodesk responds to users needs?

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
JDMather

@not2013 wrote:

If there is a logical reason I would like to know.  Otherwise it is just more ammo for me to use in my effort to get rid of autodesk products. I'm trying to give autodesk the benefit of the doubt.

Shall I write auotdesk?

I recommend that you do write to Autodesk.  They have been very responsive to my suggestions over the years. (Particularly the Autodesk Inventor product - I don't use AutoCAD much anymore.)

I also use several other CAD products from Autodesk competitors.

I just snipped this from the AutoCAD license agreement

"6.1        Functionality Limitations.  The Licensed Materials and Services ..... ....are commercial professional tools intended to be used by trained professionals only."

Without significant professional training I would expect anyone using one of these professional products (including competitors products) to experience frustration.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost